Whoops, I made a mistake...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alshain

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so I went to the LFS and saw they had clown loaches, and like the noobish one I am I confused them with Yo-Yo Loaches and bought one. I got home and looked them up to find out they get BIG. I've heard they grow very slow, but the question is how long do I have before he outgrows my tank? (See specs below). Hes is currently only 1.5" at the moment. Also I only got one but now I'm reading they prefer groups?

In a 55G you'd be fine with a group of three for a while...you'll need to think about upgrading in the future, but you probably would be tempted by other things needing a larger tank by then in any case, so I would say it's probably ok for the time being. You do need another pair to make a trio though if you can.

I don't know if I can squeeze two more in. I'm already stocked quite full. I want to get rid of some of the swordtails though (they are breeding too fast :p).

They do not do well alone. They should be kept in groups of 3 or more. They can get up to 13-inches, but that is very rare. Mine got to about 7-inches before I had to give them away. Many people have problems with this fish and they can be hard to keep alive if kept alone.

I would suggest taking it back or giving it to a friend who has others. They are great fish, but they are also big and messy, and probably won't work out well in a heavily stocked tank.

This video blew my mind:

http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k183/Emma_Turner/?action=view&current=DSCN1258.flv

those are some big clown loaches...

I can't wait till mine get that big :D my biggest is 3 1/2"

I have had 2 in a 55 gallon for a few years now and they are like best buddies. Sleep right next to each other and never leave each other's side. I agree you either need another atleast, or to take it back.

talk about a feeding frenzy... that is a cool vid.. and those are some big fish..

thats sweet..

i thought about getting some clown loaches but i would need to get a bigger tank..

in the future.. ill have a huge tank

Back
Top Bottom