"who's boss" peacock vs mbuna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidheaven

Aquarium Advice Regular
So im watching my newly setup lake Malawi tank at first it was a ob peacock then I added a German red peacock and 3 mbunas the whole time the ob was boss now added 6 more mbunas and guss who still boss yup ob so the point is I was told a peacocks with mbunas was a bad idea Bing peacocks are mild tempered fish when mbunas are aggresive so why is my ob boss lol jw

Aggression develops more towards sexual maturity so the boss will probably change several times over the next couple months

It will change like the currents lol. I has a dominate male Mbuna that was re homed because it killed about 20 fish. Now one of my orange zebras has taken the "boss" position BUT... It's tested often lol

I have one of each in my tank. My tangerine tiger is boss of all the haps in my tank. The afra cobue is boss of the mbuna and my sunshine peacock is boss of the peacocks. They all leave each other alone but my haps and peacocks don't color up a lot due to the dominate stressing them out. Needless to say I stopped adding peacocks and haps because of them not coloring up after the sub dominate. I've been rehomed some to add more mbuna.

I heard the OB peacocks are man made and have more aggression than most other species of peacock, any truth in this?

OB peacocks are man-made peacock x mbuna hybrids.

They are not collected or found in the wild (thus no OB peacock lake malawi collection sites or wild caught or F1/F2 specimens).

Their mbuna lineage does make them more aggressive than most other aulonocara's.

Back
Top Bottom