Why Breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IERTOI

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
There are some obvious answers to this question of course. :) Some reasons on a larger scale would be to keep a species alive or sell them. But, I feel as if there are a lot of owners who do not large tanks and I am unsure of what they do with the newly born fish. Can someone please help me grasp the concept as to why a lot of people like to breed fish. It is definitely interesting!

:)

Some people breed fish to offer captive bred specimens rather than wild caught. Some do it for the money, selling to LFS's and on eBay, etc. Some do it just for the challenge. In my case with my kribs, I just wanted to see if I could get egg layers to breed.

Some people breed fish to offer captive bred specimens rather than wild caught. Some do it for the money, selling to LFS's and on eBay, etc. Some do it just for the challenge. In my case with my kribs, I just wanted to see if I could get egg layers to breed.

:)

Thank you for the response. So LFS actually buy!? That is cool. I think it is a verrry cool concept that I might dabble in, in the future. This question came to mind after watching a great YouTube channel (YouTube - Jazzy78910's Channel) He had some interesting breeding videos and his last video on a Brine Shrimp Hatchery seems simple genious!!

I have multiple ghost shrimp in a community tank that are currently carrying eggs. Do you think there is a chance that some might make it through with the tank housing a Betta, some cory cats, and bristlenose. I feel like it is a long shot but it would be cool for a few to make it through.

Some LFSs buy, but it usually has to be something a bit more exciting than your standard livebearers. My favorite LFS offered to buy any GBRs I may breed, but they didn't want any guppies, so I sell my guppies on Craigslist.

Back
Top Bottom