why do my mollies always die??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wrasse326

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a 75 gallon tank. Not planted just regular stuff.. I've got a canister filter rated for a 100 gallon tank and a uv sterilizer.
As for fish I've got an angelfish, 3 dwarf gouramis, a blue gourami, 2 blue platys, 2 neon swordtails, 2 gold twinbar platys, 4 tiger barbs, 3 giant danios, 2 long finned leopard danios, a long finned zebra danio, a couple neon tetras and glo light tetras...I think that's it..
every single fish thrives. I literally haven't lost a single fish besides any mollie I've put in there. They do fine for the 1st couple of days then they just start acting weird then I find them dead. Any ideas?

Mollies seem to get sick really easy. They do best with a little salt in the tank, about 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons. They breed so quick and with whoever they can and that leads to a lot of inbreeding which weakens them. I have only been able to keep them alive for just over a year. At least the full grown ones I bought from the pet store. They ones I raised myself seem to be healthier.

Yeahhhh...
Ive had 3 black mollies and a swordtail in my 20. For about 2 months. Then 2 weeks ago one of the mollies had a curved tail and was swimming funny, and the whole tail was a pale blue! Needless to say... I just came home and the poor fish was dead.
Either internal parasites or ph shock.

I would test your pH, kh, and gh.
Two weeks ago my pH dropped to 6.8 and kh 0 and gh 3.
Added some baking soda, and equilibrium (slowly). And brought levels to 8pH, 7gh, 5kh. And all my mollies went from being lethargic to swimming again! But I think that the tail wouldn't have healed so thats why one died!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131016_221746.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131016_221746.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 97
Ok. I work at petsmart and I have a 20 gallon tank that I set up at home just to bring home baby fish. I've got a bunch of Mollies getting big and I'd like to put some in my 75 gallon. They seem to be doing fine in the 20 gallon but I'm worried as soon as I put them in the 75 gallon they might die.
Might sound stupid but what does kh and gh stand for?

Im sure you could get a way better explanation. But kh is carbonate hardness, the higher kh means pH wont fluctuate as much, gh is general hardness. Which is how hard your water is. Mollies prefer higher kh and gh

Its more likely that fish deaths are caused by Ammonia or nitrites from uncycled or overstocked tanks, or other imbalances caused by lack of regular partial water changes. Hardness and pH are not normally a problem.
I have found mollies to be very hardy, but they look more lively and healthy when I feed them a balanced diet of veggies and frozen foods.

Hi Wrasse,

In my opinion, mollies are not really compatible with some of the fish in that tank. Mollies will eat the fins off of an angelfish. Mollies should not really be with any other livebearer. Mollies can breed with other types of livebearers.

kitty2234

Hi Wrasse, In my opinion, mollies are not really compatible with some of the fish in that tank. Mollies will eat the fins off of an angelfish. Mollies should not really be with any other livebearer. Mollies can breed with other types of livebearers. kitty2234

I have mollies platies and guppies in the same community and never had cross breeding , also mollies are very very water sensitive , it has to be really well maintained for them to be happy and healthy, and live :) my oldest Molly is coming up to 2 yrs and reading up says they don't live much longer so we will watch and learn ;) and she's still having babies (with the male Molly) ..

Back
Top Bottom