Why don't my plants grow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meese-a-mew

Aquarium Advice Freak
None of my plants seem to grow. Do I need some kind of co2 system or something. I only have 3 plants so I wouldn't think I need one but please help.
I will test my water tomorrow so I can post the results. What I can remember from my last test is that I had 0ppm of ammonia and really low nitrates and nitrites and my ph is like 6-7.

The fish I have in my tank are:
-Bolivian Ram x2
-Silvertip Tetra x7
-Pleco x1

The pic is and older pic but the only difference in it is that I don't have Cyanobacteria anymore and I don't have the red plant anymore because it died :(

Attachments

• image-327795706.jpg
    image-327795706.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 143
I've moved your thread to the Planted Tank section.

In addition to the light question, what plants do you have?

For root feeders, use root tabs. For plants that need nutrients in the water column use liquid=)

I use both since I have both types of plants

There are virtually no nutrients in sand. Plants need light, food that is either absorbed through the roots or the leaves and a suitable substrate. Sand though cheap and popular is not good at holding on to nutrients. Let us know the plants you have, the type of lighting you have and the fish you have (some fish are diggers and others can nibble on plants destroying them in the process) and we can guide you better. Finally, what is the temp of your tank and what are the temp requirements of your plants?
D

Sorry, I asked questions before I looked at your pics. You have root feeders that are starving. Seachems root tabs should help. Place 1 on each side of your plants and they should show improvement. Remember, the tabs are good for 3-4 months, then you will have to add more. You don't have to remove the old ones.
D

Sorry, I asked questions before I looked at your pics. You have root feeders that are starving. Seachems root tabs should help. Place 1 on each side of your plants and they should show improvement. Remember, the tabs are good for 3-4 months, then you will have to add more. You don't have to remove the old ones.
D

Do they like give the plants nutrients?

Like I said before...there are no nutrients in sand, so you have to have a source of food for the plants. The root tabs give the plants nutrients. Without root tabs, the plants WILL die.
D

Like I said before...there are no nutrients in sand, so you have to have a source of food for the plants. The root tabs give the plants nutrients. Without root tabs, the plants WILL die.
D

Ok thanks :) where is the cheapest place to buy them?

petsmart or on ebay. ebay is the better choice as you can buy enough for a year and get free shipping. Product is called : Seachems root tabs.
D

Peabodysparadise.com has an awesome root tab and there on sale 50for $8 there called Ru-tabs. I use them and my plants really love them. Only thing is you gotta be kinda quick with gettin them in the substrate because they are clay based.

Back
Top Bottom