Why wont my fish eat cirtain food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zacharyws

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Why wont my fish eat cirtain foods? It seems to be that all they will eat is flake.

I have tryed freeze dried tubifex worms... they wouldnt touch it
I tried frozen (thawed) brine shrimp... my cory cat ate some but none of my other fish touched it.

my other fish are:
3 danios
2 mollies
1 glass fish

What else can I try to get them to eat?

Each feeding, I have to bring out the day's menu because none of my fish all like the same foods.

In one section of the tank, the order is flakes, in another...worms of any variety and lastly, the final "table" gets sinking pellets.

Oh, forgot...at night some of the fish have a late supper which consists of a veggie and/or algae wafers or shrimp pellets. :)

Blood worms are usually a hit with most fish IMO. You can also feed veggies and fruits. Why don't they eat certain foods? Because they are picky. LOL

you can get them to eat certain foods. things to try:

1. dont feed for a day or two, then feed sparingly new food+ a bit of old. successive feedings lighter than usual with higher new food portion than old.

2. mix continously new/old food. eventually fish will pick it up.

note: some fish never pick a food up, but most can get to eat shrimp, tubifex, and others. most fish wont starve themselves. the fish owner usually gives in before a fish breaks.

took me 1 whole month of "starving" my fish to get them to eat spirulina flakes and mysis shrimp.

Some fish don't recognize foods they have never seen as being edible. Sometimes it takes a few attempted feedings before they catch on. Sometimes, they just never get it! I've given up on freeze-dried foods (bloodworms & brine shrimp) since none of my fish will even touch them. Other people here report that their fish love freeze-dried bloodworms.

Keep trying. In the meantime, try frozen foods and fresh veggies. See http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?fldAuto=42&faq=2

Back
Top Bottom