Wifes new tank setup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My wife decided on a whim to buy a 25 gallon tank setup while we were at Petsmart yesterday. Tank, hood, light and stand all for $123. I set it all up for her last night and now she is eager to add fish. I have explained to her the cycling process and she is willing to wait to make sure her new fish are happy when we add them.

I have 3 other established tanks in the house. Whats the easiest way to use them t help cycle her tank?

Also, EVERYTHING in her tank is covered in tiny air bubbles. I've never had this happen with any of my tanks. Will they just dissipate on thier own or do I need to do something? The gravel, filter, heater, plants.....everything is covered.

Here's a few pics of her new setup. Sorry for the horrible reflections and bad quality photos.

img_1773034_0_fabdcaa6632034c014277d8f7497c8fc.jpg

img_1773034_1_728723af01d1c1f35fa27264334e8594.jpg

Nice. You can never have too many tanks!

I had the bubbles in my 20 and they were gone by the next day. Actually, same thing in each of my kids 10's. So I don't think you have to do anything there.

For my 55g, I used a chunk of filter fiber that I had stuffed in the back of my hob on the 20g. I immediately put in 6 red eye tetras and never had a spike of any kind. So after 4-5 days of good parameters I added 6 neons, and still never saw any kind of spike. I've added fish very slowly, but avoided any cycling because I added enough bacteria. I've done a couple of tanks this way without ever losing a fish.

I had also added a few fake plants from my wife's established tank.

To go a little slower, I've read where some will add mesh bags of substrate from an established tank as well. Only have to make sure that there's enough ammonia to feed the seeded bacteria, and a little extra for the bb you're wanting to grow. I haven't done this method, but I'm just not a real patient dude. I do have water parameter OCD though, LOL! So I test daily until I'm sure everything is cool.

Nice. You can never have too many tanks!

I had the bubbles in my 20 and they were gone by the next day. Actually, same thing in each of my kids 10's. So I don't think you have to do anything there.

For my 55g, I used a chunk of filter fiber that I had stuffed in the back of my hob on the 20g. I immediately put in 6 red eye tetras and never had a spike of any kind. So after 4-5 days of good parameters I added 6 neons, and still never saw any kind of spike. I've added fish very slowly, but avoided any cycling because I added enough bacteria. I've done a couple of tanks this way without ever losing a fish.

I had also added a few fake plants from my wife's established tank.

To go a little slower, I've read where some will add mesh bags of substrate from an established tank as well. Only have to make sure that there's enough ammonia to feed the seeded bacteria, and a little extra for the bb you're wanting to grow. I haven't done this method, but I'm just not a real patient dude. I do have water parameter OCD though, LOL! So I test daily until I'm sure everything is cool.

I think I'll try a mesh bag with some of my substrate and see how that goes. I'm thinking of doing a fish in cycle since I dont mind doing water changes daily. It gives me something to do, lol. I just have to monitor what kind of fish she tries to add and how many. She hasnt quite got the concept of over stocking or mixing fish with different dispositions :)

Back
Top Bottom