Wild Plecostomus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinoanoah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had heard that some plecostomus had been released in the Hillsborough River (Tampa, FL) but today I actually saw them! Over a span of 30 minutes I probably saw 5 or 6, all over 12" - some even 16"+

photo1wu7.jpg

photoei0.jpg

Only had my phone on me, however. Strange sight, these fish are worth some $$! Also, these are probably legitimately wild since Plecos aren't known to mate in captivity. I wonder when their ancestors were dropped in this river. It's all real weird. But, very cool overall.

Only had my phone on me, however. Strange sight, these fish are worth some $$! Also, these are probably legitimately wild since Plecos aren't known to mate in captivity. I wonder when their ancestors were dropped in this river. It's all real weird. But, very cool overall.

Where'd you find this info? Depending on the species of pleco, most of them breed very often in captivity.

I've read they are so thick that the fish farms quit breeding, they buy eggs from collectors who get them from the rivers.

those are pretty big ones. i think i would have gotton so excited i would have jumped in like an idiot :silly:

people do catch them i know a friend that has pleco traps. he even catches uncommon plecos. its crazy what people toss in the lakes and rivers. there is a site i go to where they do fishing trips in fl. all they catch is tropical fish.

people do catch them i know a friend that has pleco traps. he even catches uncommon plecos. its crazy what people toss in the lakes and rivers. there is a site i go to where they do fishing trips in fl. all they catch is tropical fish.
i went to a gravel quarry once about 8 years ago to fish. i caught an oscar that was about 12 inches long. a guy that i talked to said that some tool emptied a 90 gal tank of all kinds of fish, a couple of days prior.

Back
Top Bottom