Will Erythromycin eliminate bb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobykourtney

Aquarium Advice Addict
I used Erythromycin to get rid of some bga. The bga is gone but now my ammonia is 2 ppm. I've been doing 30% wc everyday for the past 3 days and still no improvement. Someone help please.

I used it to get rid of bga in my tank and it did not affect bb. However, I did a lot of research before using it and was told that after the bba is dead it can lead to an ammonia spike if it isn't cleaned out. The bba rots and causes ammonia like plant matter does. Just vacuum you tank to get rid of dead algae. Remember to do frequent water changes and the ammonia should go back to zero. Erythromycin kills gram negative bacteria and bb is gram positive if I remember right. It doesn't kill the bb.

Wildrose is 100% correct. It doesn't harm BB and the dying BGA left in the tank is causing the ammonia spike.

Wildrose is 100% correct. It doesn't harm BB and the dying BGA left in the tank is causing the ammonia spike.

I vacuumed all of it out after the treatment and for the past 3 days I don't no where the dead bga could be

In the substrate possibly still dying off and in the filter, on the plants, on any surface actually.

In the substrate possibly still dying off and in the filter, on the plants, on any surface actually.

I just got some api ammo-chips would it hurt anything if I used them til the bga completely died off?

I never thought too much of those but it won't hurt if you use them. I would take them out once your ammonia level returns to normal.

Be sure to move any decorations and rocks you have when vacuuming. Also shake out any moss you have. You would be surprised how much stuff gets pushed under these things or in the moss. I had problems with ammonia a while back and took almost everything out of my tank and vacuumed it. It was unbelievable how much stuff was under the rocks and seashells in my tank. Plus, when I shook out my moss "tree", it was like a snow storm had occurred in my tank. All kinds of crude was stuck in it. You also want to stir the top layer of sand to release any dead bga.

Be sure to move any decorations and rocks you have when vacuuming. Also shake out any moss you have. You would be surprised how much stuff gets pushed under these things or in the moss. I had problems with ammonia a while back and took almost everything out of my tank and vacuumed it. It was unbelievable how much stuff was under the rocks and seashells in my tank. Plus, when I shook out my moss "tree", it was like a snow storm had occurred in my tank. All kinds of crude was stuck in it. You also want to stir the top layer of sand to release any dead bga.

I pretty much sucked up the top layer of sand and cleaned one of my filters in aquarium water. Ill wait a week then clean the other filter.

Back
Top Bottom