Will my goldfish freeze this winter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

animallover09

Aquarium Advice Activist
I live in Arkansas and they are expecting it to get below freezing tonight. I was curious if my goldfish may become uncomfortable. I have a pond just like the one uploaded. It has a small fountain in it that runs 24/7. I have 4 common goldfish in it which are all about the length of my hand. They seem to be doing fine so far since its been cold. Last year I was so worried I didn't want to risk them dying so we brought them inside in a 29 gallon tank (I know, shame on me, but it's the only tank we had and it was just for a couple of months). Anyways, I don't want to crowd them in that small tank again over the winter.

Does anyone think they will survive if I leave them out there all winter?
http://http://www.lowes.com/pd_56567-1569-LP5718_4294742074__?productId=1093005&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

I don't believe your weather is quite as cold as it is further north. What you need to do is monitor the temperature in the pond. Once it reaches 55-50f, time to stop feeding the fish. No food at all until the temps start to warm back up again into this range. If there is a threat of the pond actually freezing over, a de-icer can be used to keep an area open and clear of ice. They will be fine over the winter as long as you do not feed them and area stays open for gas exchange. :)

Ok. My friend suggested I check the temperature of the water and it was 48 degrees. Our high today was 58 degrees, which plans to get colder later next week. I didn't know that I was supposed to stop feeding them. I have been feeding them once daily like always but I read somewhere to not feed them for one day so Sundays I don't feed them.

I'm going to stop feeding them but I hope I didn't hurt them by giving them food.

Another reason I thought I should bring them in: I've been researching this weird clear bubble on one's head. At first I thought it was ich but I treated the pond and nothing ever happened to it. I assumed it would just go away but now that I've researched it more, I think its carp pox which makes me think i should bring them inside since that only happens during winter months. What do you think?

Can you possibly post a pic of what you are seeing? I would suspect flukes first before considering other possibilities.

Here you go. I think this is good enough. This bump/bubble has been there for a month or longer now.

Attachments

• CAM00658.jpg
    CAM00658.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 101
Hmm.... Its possible it may be carp pox but this is no reason to bring anybody in. It is a form of the herpes virus and becomes more visible as the temps drop. Its not fatal or harmful, just unsightly and there is no treatment or cure. As the temps warm back up again, the lesions usually resolve themselves on their own. When the temps warm up again next year, I suggest addressing flukes in the pond with praziquantel to rule out any other issues. Hope this helps!

Hmm.... Its possible it may be carp pox but this is no reason to bring anybody in. It is a form of the herpes virus and becomes more visible as the temps drop. Its not fatal or harmful, just unsightly and there is no treatment or cure. As the temps warm back up again, the lesions usually resolve themselves on their own. When the temps warm up again next year, I suggest addressing flukes in the pond with praziquantel to rule out any other issues. Hope this helps!

Herpes you say ... That's a scary word :p
Is that transferable to humans?

This is unrelated but what does fish tuberculosis do to humans again?

Herpes you say ... That's a scary word :p
Is that transferable to humans?

This is unrelated but what does fish tuberculosis do to humans again?

No, humans can not get this. As 'scary' as it may sound, it basically the equivalent of a common cold.

Although fish tb is zoonotic (meaning it can be transferred across different species, ie fish to humans), its very rare. Below is a recent article discussing it and the studies it is based off of are cited. Over 10 year period that the study covered, only 5 cases were reported. Odds are, you will not encounter this and even if you did, its treatable with appropriate antibiotics. Basic sanitary and hygiene measures are the safest prevention from acquiring fish zoonosis (or any other virulent disease such as a cold or flu). Wash your hands with hot water and soap after having them in a tank. If you have an open wound, protect it with gloves or don't stick it in a tank. Use common sense and there should not be any reason to worry! :)

http://beforeitsnews.com/health/201...-to-aquariums-is-under-diagnosed-2507478.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom