Will my Guppy have babies soon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brennan32

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i am a moderately experienced aquarist and today i bought some guppies to breed. For the first time and i got the guppy and i know it's pregnant. I just want to know if someone could give me a good idea of when to expect the fry. Might i also add that she is huge and looks as if she could pop! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443666128.499775.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Guppy pregnancy is roughly 30 days. It's estimated because factors like stress can play a role. She can hold the fry if she doesn't feel secure.

There is a term called "boxing off" the best way I can describe it is her belly will look squared. This means babies will come soon.

Caleb

Ok thanks i just bought it today so I can't know how long it's been pregnant. Guess I'll just have to wait but what does squaring off look like ?Cause I'm not sure.Is there a picture you could show more or something? don't mean to bother you but i really appreciate your time and knowledge!

Thanks man!

Also with mine I notice the belly gets darker when they are about to drop. The spot I mean is where her belly is red towards the tail. It gets a lot darker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Once again thanks for the help! I watched some YouTube videos but you helped a lot more than the videos did!

I tried to get a pic for you just now of a guppy about to drop but even huge females are fast. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Haha that's ok you have done a lot for me already!

Oh also if you purchase a very very preggers female she could abort the babies due to stress also. So when you pick them out avoid the really boxy ones with the dark stomach spot.

Basically you want them as stress free as possible.

I've seen in very stressful situations a premature birth can happen. This can result in her organs actually coming out as well. Quite an odd sight.

Caleb

I've heard of this. I've also been told that even if the female aborts and lives through it she could be rendered infertile after that.

That sucks because i picked a very pregnant female out hopefully she feels safe in my tank and it will be all good!

After 11 days from this post my guppy gave birth to 28 fry and they are now safely located in a grow out tank so excited haha

Yeah can't wait to see them grow

Also with mine I notice the belly gets darker when they are about to drop. The spot I mean is where her belly is red towards the tail. It gets a lot darker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I call that the baby window lol, it's pretty freaky when you see little eyes peeking out.

Back
Top Bottom