Will Seachem Prime give me a false negative ammonia reading?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mgx42

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Started cycling my 20g tank a few days ago. I have 4 zebra danio in there and feed them daily. I used a double dose of seachem prime as a conditioner/detoxifier after having trouble with my tap water 4 days ago. My question is, will prime stop my tests from picking up on the ammonia? I figured there would be a significant ammonia reading after 4 days of feeding but my test results always come out as 0 for ammonia. I am using the API kit, and yes I'm testing correctly. Fish look happy/healthy. No nitrites yet, and less than 5.0 nitrate. I have yet to change the water in these 4 days because based on my readings there's no need too. Can someone please enlighten me as to why I have no ammonia readings?

-one nubius nana plant
-water is 80 degrees
-ph is 7.5

Prime should not not affect your test results with API test kit. If it's a new tank I'm sure the ammonia level is slowly rising. It's hard to distinguish between 0 and 0.25 ppm of ammonia using the API test kit for me. Just keep testing.

Prime should not not affect your test results with API test kit. If it's a new tank I'm sure the ammonia level is slowly rising. It's hard to distinguish between 0 and 0.25 ppm of ammonia using the API test kit for me. Just keep testing.

Day 5, still no ammonia. Is it possible that my plant is using it? I'm just really confused because with feeding them everyday there should be some sort of reading. Plus the water is slightly fogging but apparently the fish waste thats in there isn't producing any ammonia? Any other ideas, I'm at a loss here. Is it possible that the spring water I used had ammonia eating bacteria in it? The spring water readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrIte, and 5 nitrAte.

Back
Top Bottom