Will this set up work??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ALittleSalty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As some of you know my 20 long had a minor accident on saturday night, so I decided to put together my equipment list for my planted tank.

Disasterhttp://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=95023

Since I just finished my hood for the 20L I decided to go with a 29 Tall, since it maintains the same footprint as my old tank.

Lighting
-
Coralife Aqualight Deluxe Single Linear Strip Light 65 Watt, 6700K bulb

CO2
-
Dr. Foster and Smith Semi-Automatic CO2 System

Not sure what size tank I will purchase.

Substrate
- Eco Complete 20lb bag

Will one bag be enough for the tank??

Filter
-
Eheim Classic 2213-37

Still looking at what types of media to run in this set up. Will be making a spray bar to go the lenth of the tank

Monitos & Test Kits
-
Pinpoint pH Controller

-API Freshwater Master Test Kit
- Low pH; High pH; Ammonia; Nitrite; Nitrate

-Seachem Phosphate Multi Test Kit

Ferts
-Seachem Flourish
-Seachem Flourish Potassium
-Seachem Flourish Phosphorus
Seachem Flourish Nitrogen

Now I will lay out what I will putting in the tank in terms of plants

- Micro Sword
- Ludwigia
- Rotala Indica
- Amazon Sword
- Cabomba
- Wisteria

I would also like to include one peice of malaysian driftwood as a center peice in the tank

Current Fish
- 3 chinese barbs
- 4 glo light tetras
- 1 false julii cory cat
- 1 rubber lip pleco

Future Fish
- 6 glo light tetras
- 2 German Blue Rams
or 6 marbled Hatchet's
- 4 ghost shrimps

So what do you experienced planted tank owners think of my stock list? I figured that my lighting would produce around 2.24 wpg, which is probably more light than I need, but it beats the .65 wpg with the stock flourescent bulb. Feel free to offer suggestions on equipment as I am still in the planning stages on what I want to do. Jon

[/b][/url]

Well, on the Eco-Complete, I used 1.25 bags for a 12 gallon tank. So no, one bag won't be enough.

Having just gotten 4, I'd recommend Japonica Amano shrimp over the ghost shrimp.

Sorry to hear about your disaster, but I have to say it sure gave me a pretty good laugh to hear you describe it. Hey, at least you get a new tank out of the deal.

i vote for the hatchets over the rams, they will fill the niche at the top of your tank, especially for a tall.

I not crazy about your plant choices and light set up. The tank height is a big factor. Microsword isn't a good choice, needs more light and generally fairs better in established tanks (seems to be an algae magnet). The ludwiga will most likely get leggy and loose the lower leaves. It will look good once it gets higher up into the water column but then you have a lot of bare stem leading up to that point. The rotala will most likely do similar and leaves will likely remain green. Amazon sword if succesful will be a tank buster. Cabomba, I assume carolina is generally regarded as medium high plant. Wisteria will be fine. I would focus more on medium low to low light plants or think about some more lights.

Cabombas can get tall and drop lower leaves in a tall tank too (mine do that, then break off so I have to replant).

Crypts may be a better choice than amazon swords, they (generally) grow slower, require a bit less light and are available in several colors, shapes etc.

Consider looking into Greg Watson dry ferts. Seachem Product are good, they are however pricy and are no better that dosing dry ferts. Folks here will help sort our which ones to buy, if you are unsure.

Ph controller is un-necesary. Simply run your CO2 during the day, on a timer. It will work just fine. Everything you suggest, looks good, just a bit on the spendy side.

In a tall tank, you can grow one nice Amazon sword as a centerpiece plant. I might suggest something colorful like a Ozelot.

I run 64w (2x 32w CF) on a 29 tall and do that as a low maintenance no CO2 tank for my shrimp. That is however not the norm for that much light. The set-up you are detailing suggests using the Estimative Index method of doing ferts. There is plenty of info on how to do this in the stickies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom