Windex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ms705jk

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got back from the lfs. I was gonna get do a 3 gal water change so figured I'd take a sample of my water just to kinda see how the tank was doing. I couldn't believe it when they test for ammonia the water turned dark green. No good. Bad very bad. And trates and trites where high too. Wtc. Ni's I can see being a little cause cause I put a few pieces of shrimp in the sand for the starfish ( who im trying to get rid of). Its a new tank and didn't think he had enough food yet. As for the purpose of this thread the guy asked me if I used Windex on the tank..... yes I did on the outside of my glass tank I used glass cleaner.??? (Moderator edit)
So far tonight I have cleaned the sand and the rock , done a complete water change and changed my media to chemi-pure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't quite understand the point of this thread.. are you asking us a question or simply stating your experience with Windex? I use windex all the time on my 125. just have to make sure you spray in a downward angle and never spray up past the halfway mark of the tank.

Yes sorry I hadn't read the message since the moderator help me with the use of symbols in a word to get my point across. The tank has a glass lid and I never spray the Windex directly on the tank. Instead I apply it to the paper towels.moderator editor not needed. I'll give you the long winded less funny version. The guy at the lfs told me the ammonia can leech through the glass. It blew my mind! And started think on my 45 min ride home... COULD THIS BE TRUE......NOOOO

That's what I hoped you would say. But after a long day and bad news as far as the water test went. He was able plant a seed in my head for the drive home

Ive got to find a new lfs. But they have the absolutely best corals around. Heres a few pics of the store

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131122_230031.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131122_230031.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 120
  • ForumRunner_20131122_230057.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131122_230057.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 123
  • ForumRunner_20131122_230124.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131122_230124.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 114
ms705jk said:
That's what I hoped you would say. But after a long day and bad news as far as the water test went. He was able plant a seed in my head for the drive home

Thats the dumbest thing ive heard. There are things that have the capabilities to leach through solid obstacles (gamma rays, radio signals, concussion waves, etc) but ammonia?!? Thats insane

It is but I had to ask. im a pretty handy guy. I can build thing with wood, cert. Welder. The state of fl lets me build elevators to feed my family. But this Windex thing had me messed up. Thanks for validating my own opinion

Hey we all know that there's some crazy stuff coming out of these lfs either to just sell goods or fish or they really don't know what their talking about.

Believe me or not.. At one of my LFS the guy sprayed windex straight into the display tank... About 6months later it's all there still

It's a full blown mixed reef

Believe me or not.. At one of my LFS the guy sprayed windex straight into the display tank... About 6months later it's all there still

It's a full blown mixed reef

although id advise against it in most cases, theres no reason a decently sized well-established tank couldn't handle it.that I believe

This is an interesting time for this topic to come up because my planted freshwater tank is leaking ammonia through the silicone. I have two slowly growing spots on my tank with a very obvious ammonia smell. No cats and a dog that couldn't even begin to urinate that high up.

I dont however think that the ammonia from the windex you use is leeching into your tank from that.

Back
Top Bottom