wood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LostLoach

Aquarium Advice Activist
theres some driftwood at my local pet shop it has a little sign in there that says Haba wood for reptiles and birds..but its knida in the fish section is it safe ..or how do i know?

I wouldn't be an expert on that, however I would think anything sold at a pet store would be safe for pets in general. Besides, when I bought wood for my tank, I let it soak and rinsed it before putting it in the tank anyways.

I could be wrong, but I think it might be fine :)

Grapevine will rot if submerged. It's often sold for terrariums.

Is Haba the type of wood or the brand?

My gut instinct is to avoid wood that is marketed for reptiles/birds, and restrict yourself to wood designed for aquariums.

thanks for your input everyone .. i did a google search for grapevine wood and the wood at the place doesnt look like it it looks like the wood i see in aquariums..so what do u think?

I buy most of my wood in the reptile section.

Grapevine will rot, but over time. I have a piece that is 3 years old now and hasn't gotten mushy at all.

Look for the mopani wood. Be sure to soak it real good though.

If you like really branchy-looking wood, then consider Manzanita wood. I recently bought some online from a place called Manzanita Burlworks. It's great stuff, looks really cool, doesn't leach tannins the way a lot of other woods do. (Or if it does, then the amount of tannins released are way way less.) Typically it will float for about a week or so when you put it in the tank, then it gets waterlogged and sinks fine. I think it's really great-looking stuff.

If you email Rich (the guy who runs the place, his email is on the bottom of that page) he can help set you up with whatever you want. I emailed him, told him the size of my tanks and exactly what I was looking for and he put a great package of pieces together for me. He's really friendly and very helpful, if you tell him what you're looking for he will do everything he can to put together a package that is right for you, making sure (for example) none of the pieces will be too large to fit in your tank, etc. It's not exactly cheap, but it's really nice looking stuff.

Back
Top Bottom