worms in my tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larochem595

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I just did a big water change in my tank. As I typically do, I stirred up the gravel a bit to eliminate dead spots. And I noticed a half dozen very tiny white worms in my tank, crawling along the glass on my tank. They are about 1-1.5 centimeters long and about the width of a hair.
I am kind of grossed out by them... are they parasites (ie living in my fish)?? Or are they just feeding on the detritus at the bottom? Are they dangerous or harmless? Are they something that myself or my family could get sick from?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Michelle Laroche

I don't know much about worms but if they bother you go ahead and remove them with your siphon

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

Likely just detritus worms, not harmful at all.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have had detritus worms before! Just syphon tank well and maybe cut back on feeding a little. I did this and they seemed to go away faster!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you for the help.
I have done two big water changes and vacuumed the bottom well. I did cut back on the feeding a bit. So, we shall see...
If worse comes to worse, I can always change out my gravel if it gets to be too bad.

Thanks again!
Michelle

Back
Top Bottom