Worry Or Not Re: Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarii

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 FW community tank, heavily planted. Substrate is Flourite and black gravel, with some slightly larger agates, interesting small rocks thrown in for interest. Why is it that brown/green algae grows and sticks only to the tiny pebbles, agates, etc. in my substrate? It has gotten crazy. I don't get much algae growth on glass, plants, ornaments, equipment, just the little rocks. I feel like taking a tiny rake and removing each one (THAT would take all day and night!). I dose regularly with Excel (a little on the light side), feed Flourish and Flouris trace at recommended intervals, use Seachem Neutral Regulator when making water changes (30% weekly). Nitrates hover at 5-7 ppm. Could one of these chemicals encourage the growth of the rock algae - OR JUST NOT WORRY ABOUT IT? The fish don't seem to mind. I think it's just ugly. How many of you think I'm being a little obsessive-compulsive? :confused:

If you can pinpoint which type of algae it is, we can provide more info on this.

Here is a nice little site all about aquarium algae:

http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

You say that it's heavily planted, what does that entail? What lighting are you running? How old are the bulbs?

What are you using to measure the NO3's?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom