would a 4ft tank be safe upstairs in my house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firebapx

Aquarium Advice Regular
my grandad has offered me his 4ft tank for free but the only place i can keep it is up stairs would it be safe whats the risk of it falling through the floor ? i mean peopple keep water beds up stairs right ? there bound to be heavier

Ehhh depends on the gallons. A 4' tank can be 55g up to 90g. And I don't think its the same as a waterbed. They are more spread out. If you live in an old old house (like me) I personally wouldn't do it. I put my 55g in the basement just because I was worried. So really it depends on the gallons, and your house.

If the floor can't hold that weight then the house isn't structurally sound IMO.

Yes it is a great weight but people used to have huge pianos etc in houses an they weigh quite a bit!

Like convict said, it depends on the gallons.

90 Gallons = approx 720 pounds

55 gallons = approx 440 pounds

Donkey Gun said:
Like convict said, it depends on the gallons.

90 Gallons = approx 720 pounds

55 gallons = approx 440 pounds

It doesn't, it depends on the house.

They don't know what a person plans to have on the floor so it has to be extremely strong.

If the house has had issues with the joists in the past or it's an old house that has a possible issue the joists then I would say the house had structural issues.

A floor built properly can hold an immense amount of weight, I live in a second floor flat in a victorian house, the people up stairs have a 1000kg piano with no issues at all.

It would depend on the age of the house. However, if it is fairly new and the joists are the right size and spanning for the space then you should be fine. just make sure it runs perpendicular to the joists and up against a load bearing wall if possible.

I had a home inspecter and an architect (sp?) tell me that my 220 g total weight of 2400 pounds with a 12 sqft footprint would be fine on my first floor with a sub-basement. My joists are 2x10 with 16 in spacing and the tank runs perpendicular to the joists and sits right against a load bearing wall. I believe the joists are 16 in spacing, its been a while since I measure them, but what ever they were I was told it is the normal and correct spacing for those joists.

We have an 80g and two 55s upstairs. They are all against load bearing walls. I think our house was built in the 60s.

Our big tanks are downstairs in the basement. Nice concrete floor under them.

You can go with a 200 gal with no worry !! Floor joist are designed for much more weight than that !!!

well i was planing on putting it in the corner where two of my outside walls meet in my room both brick i live in belfast in a council house semi deteached im not sure how to figure out what way the joists are running in my floor with out tearing it up is there any way i can know ? and also how do i figure out how many gallons it is by measuring it ?

firebapx said:
well i was planing on putting it in the corner where two of my outside walls meet in my room both brick i live in belfast in a council house semi deteached im not sure how to figure out what way the joists are running in my floor with out tearing it up is there any way i can know ? and also how do i figure out how many gallons it is by measuring it ?

Well for volume it's simple multiplication.

Length X Width X Depth

So in example

120 x 60 x 60 is 432 litres I think. Which is like 115 US gallons

the general view here seems to be that it will be fine i think i may go for it cus like any good fish keeper we all want a bigger tank lol

Back
Top Bottom