Would like to know what these plants are.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I found these plants in a lake and thought they were a great addition but I don't know what they are or what they require so please help.

Attachments

• image-1963892898.jpg
    image-1963892898.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 96
  • image-1113957673.jpg
    image-1113957673.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 88
Perhaps the location would help. I could try to look up aquatic plants indigenous to the area you got that plant from.

Welcome to AA!

I don't know what you've got there, but I like it. fort or mfd might be able to tell you. Red plants generally require more light than most tanks have. What light are you running?

It was found in west Tennessee and I am running 2.5watts per gallon for now. If it helps it's pretty much the stalk in the water the leaves were floating on the water and they were green not red.

In a way, I was kind of hoping you weren't going to say a Southern state. There are a lot of invasive species down there. So it makes identifying any particular plant more challenging. Plants like Hygrophila polysperma have really choked out some waterways down there. It's not to say that the Northern states don't have invasive species, but usually aquatic plants purchased for aquariums over seas are of the tropical type and cannot survive over winter.

I'll still look and see what I can find. I still have no idea, lol. The good news is that your plant has a much better chance to survive in the aquarium environment since it's not from a colder climate.

It looks to be some sort of ludwigia. I wouldn't say that for sure, but the lack of leaves on the bottom makes me wonder. Can you get a better close up of the leaves and the very top?

The swords and your new plant are looking a little droopy. I am guessing whatever it is, there is not enough light on the tank to sustain it.

I don't think so I literally just bought the ruby sword a day ago it hasn't adapted yet I have two other amazons that are doing wonderful had them about two months now. Will probably have to get rid of one of them pretty soon since they get really big.

Some close ups of the unknown plants. The biggest one has grown atleast 2.5 inches in 3 days the leaves spread out like a flower at the top I really like them and wish I knew what to look for if I wanted them again.

Attachments

• image-4057093266.jpg
    image-4057093266.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 67
  • image-868719141.jpg
    image-868719141.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 67
Seak said:
I don't think so I literally just bought the ruby sword a day ago it hasn't adapted yet I have two other amazons that are doing wonderful had them about two months now. Will probably have to get rid of one of them pretty soon since they get really big.

Ahh ok. Was lookin at that sword but if you just added it...

Will be interested on the id here.

Back
Top Bottom