Wounded guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Promisedsin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm posting this for my brother.

He currently has a 10 gallon tank set up with
(1) female guppy (currently sick or wounded?)
(10) female baby guppies
(1) clown loach
(3) cory cats
(2) honey sunset gourami
(30) or so red cherry shrimp

He was going to be moving the loach, gourami, & cories to his new tank but noticed that his female guppy had white spots on her that didn't resemble ich. He had the water tested and all level were in check except that water was a little hard, so he treated the tank for fungus hoping that it wouldn't spread. The spot disappeared before the end of the treatment but he did the full treatment. He went on vacation and I baby sat his fish and the 2nd day in I noticed that the spots were back. I had to way of getting a hold of him and didn't know what he treated them with and decided to wait until he returned home the next day.

That was on wednesday June 30th. She was acting normal until this morning. He woke up to her laying on the bottom of the tank with the shrimp all over her. He removed her and noticed that she was still breathing. The largest white spot turned into a wound. He had his water tested and the readings were the same as when the spot first appeared.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause this and if it could infect the entire tank and what to treat it with?

img_1129464_0_06269040a846b0a53ec2b1cb945efe1f.jpg

Well, it could have been a fungus, and I think that might get worse with stress. :(
To see if she will heal up, keep the water REALLY clean, and maybe add a little salt. I would also keep her isolated in something and put an air stone in there.
Those shrimp did a number on her back!

She died but my brother wants to make sure that it wouldn't be something that spread. He doesn't want to transfer it to his other tank.

He got the clown loach as a baby to control his snail problem and was moving it to his new tank when he got bigger and it cycled

My brother went to our LFS and showed the owner the pictures he took of his guppy and the owner said that it was a parasite and my brother is going to treat the tank with general cure. He also said that when the guppy was swimming around that is how bad the hole was.

Does anyone have any advice on anything else to treat the tank with?

I think the fish had a wound and the shrimp picked at it. I am not sure about the spots before the injury. You should do a google search and see if you can find any pics of parasites that looks like what she had.
I am hesitant to use meds until I know EXACTLY what is wrong, because most of them will kill your biological filter and you will have to do the cycle all over again.
Remember that cleaner water will help them heal faster too. :)

My brother said that the night before he found her that the wound had been that bad. Would the shrimp had been able to pick at it while she was swimming around?

No, probably not. But they would have picked on it while she was on the bottom. My guppies hang around the botom all the time.

Back
Top Bottom