WOW--Fiddler crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
Everyone needs to have these! I never knew they are so entertaining, and even have personalities. I got a male and female, and after two weeks, the male was doing the "claw thing" on top of the filter. It went on for at least 20 minutes. So cute. I have handled them twice. Once when I brought them home, just to get them into the tank, and once yesterday when I did an almost complete water change. After a few minutes of scurrying to try to get away from me, they sat calmly on my hand, and didn't want to get off! Not a single pinch, just a little displaying by the male at first, threatening, but he didn't do anything. I've never had such cute pets, and I'm really liking them. Cleaning their tank was not that difficult, and the water is sparkling clear again. I don't have a name for the female yet, but the male is Fergus. He's more outgoing, and he thinks he's quite macho! They do have to have the right set up with both land and brackish water, but I think they are the coolest pets I've had yet, and I've had lots of fish and pets over the years.
001.jpg

013.jpg

005.jpg

I have always really wanted some. I just do not currently have the space for another set up, especially one so specialized. Keep the pictures coming!

Crab fist pump, LOL! It's really not that specialized of a set-up. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be, honestly. I just used 20-25 lbs. of gravel and sand mixed, and sloped it, and put a small bowl of pure sand on the dry part, then a couple of good size rocks, and a couple of fake plants and a PVC U joint under the water. Oh, I also got a floating log of the type they make for bettas. Then just filled it with water with Prime and Instant Ocean mixed in. It didn't take as long to clean it as it does with the fish tanks! I have a heater and the smallest Whisper filter and of course, a heat lamp. Cost me over $100 for a habitat for two crabs, but as far as I'm concerned, it was worth it, as I'm enjoying them so much. They stay out a lot, not hiding much of the time as I've heard red claws do. I also have a thin branch of fruitless mulberry with lots of tiny branches coming off it that I'm going to boil and put in there so the boy can climb up higher to do his "crab fist pumping."

Well, a tank that costs that much, and cannot house fish is rather specialized imo. ;)
Do you have brackish water?

True, for a 10 gallon crab tank, it really added up by the time I'd gotten everything! And yes, I keep them in brackish water. About a teaspoon per gallon. They're still doing well, and I can't wait until I've gotten them both through a molt, as I almost lost a dwarf crayfish (CPO) yesterday to an incomplete molt!

They are adorable. I feel so bad whenever I see them at my local walmart. Makes we want to buy them all!

Would live to see a video of a 'crab fist pump'!

I love odd little pets like these. My LFS sells juvenile yabbies as feeders from time to time but i could catch them.easily enough. I would love to see a picture of the complete set up.

Well, I'm glad someone agrees with me about them being cute. My online friend says they remind her of spiders, and she wants to squash them when she sees pictures! Kind of hurt my feelings....

I just got a Zoo Med thing to hang my heat bulb from, and I'm moving them into another room next week. I'll be able to see them a lot better. Right now they are cramped in my fish room with the tank sideways, so I can't view them from the front like I want to. As soon as it's set up I'll post a pic. It's just a 10 gallon, so not much to look at, but it seems to be working. I ordered a fake vine for them to climb too, so can't wait to put that in there too. It's a little crowded, but I think they enjoy all the hidey places.

Any suggestions on names for my girl crab? I called the male Fergus.

Back
Top Bottom