Yellow lab anal fin growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sehrhart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My yellow lab has a whitish growth on its anal fin it starts at the base of its anus and come half way down the fin. I took about a hundred pics to share but not one shows the growth. it's happy and acting normal.

Without of picture that's going to be tough. Does it look fuzzy or any other information? Water parameters and tankmates?

I would not say it looks fuzzy however it is extreamly hard to tell. If im close to my tank it goes crazy hoping to be feed. It blends in with its fin as far as color. I would describethe growth as being about 1/4 inch long maybe a little less. and shaped like a deformed football.

My water is perfect every thing is zero except nitrates and thats under 20ppm.

I have 2 yellow labs, 2 colbalt blue, 1 bumble bee, 1 i cant remember its turning black was yellow with black and white stripes running horizonal, 1 blood parrot, 2 jewles, 1 asci

As stated, hard to say without a picture, I would be inclined toward fungal, but if its fungal it should be white and fuzzy looking.

Sort of unrelated but what size tank are you keeping these guys in? They should be kept in a 4ft minimum tank. Your stocking numbers are a little off with mbuna. To reduce aggression they should be stocked with 1m/4f and the jewels and blood parrot don't belong with mbuna since they have different aggression and food requirements. If that pair of jewels turns out to be male/female that tank is going to turn into WW3. Lastly acei really need alot of swimming room and should be kept in 6ft tanks.

They are in a 75 gallon tank right now. I started this back in january and I have learned alot since then. These fish are the ones that started this tank I lost 2 snow whites. They got ganged up on by everybody. And i gave away a kenyi he would not let anyone rest.

Other than that they all love each other. They all have their spots.

I do have a 55 gallon that is cycled that houses about 20-30 red rosies feeders. If aggression starts i will seperate and dump the rosies. My hope is they will stay good untill i have my 125 gallon that is being built into my wall completed. At this point i will have a mbuna tank and a south amercian tank.

Finaly i started a hospital tank 3 days ago I used water from my main tank along with some of the crushed coral and filter media so im hoping it cycles soon. Do you all believe i should but my yelllow in there and treat for fungus? Or should i put it in their and just keep an eye on it. Please give me your opinions.

Thanks

I would keep the water pristine at this time, and just keep an eye on the spot before you treat. I personally don't like to treat with meds unless I know what I'm treating for.

I like the plan with africans and ca/sa tanks. I have a 150&180 with oscars, red terrors, red points, jags, and a trimac. Plus 2 75g mbuna and peacock tanks that were a split from my 150. Good luck.

Thanks Hukit. Should i seperate and put him in the hospital tank and watch it there? I have been doing 15-20% water changes going on 4 days now. before that i did it every Sunday.

I could only talk my wife into the 125 gallon:blink: At first she hated me spending all of this money. Now she loves my fish almost as much as me:rolleyes: I may be pushing it for anymore let alone bigger. So I'll give it a year I really want a discus tank

I would leave him where he is, your already keeping the water perfect. Just watch him and the others to make sure it's not contagious. If it gets worse and spreads to another fish then try to get a picture to help us identify the disease. Otherwise I wouldn't worry to much.

Back
Top Bottom