Yellow Labs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw that, but it says no to lime and sandstone so I figured I would ask personal experience since other places say they're ok to use. And it says nothing about flag stone.

KryptiCouple said:
I saw that, but it says no to lime and sandstone so I figured I would ask personal experience since other places say they're ok to use. And it says nothing about flag stone.

I'm not really sure because mine are all home made. Butterflykoi is a friend of mine and is the one that wrote the article. So I sent her a pm to see if she can come and say.

Bags101 said:
You can get black blasting sand at tractor supply for pretty cheap, and you could also use play sand at $7.00 for a 50 pound bag.

IMHO I would not use the black diamond for a substrate, the sand itself contains iron slag which can be sharp which can be a bad combination for diggers. The flagstone would be ok
" Flagstone is a sedimentary rock that is split into layers along bedding planes . Flagstone is usually a form of a sandstone composed of feldspar and quartz and is arenaceous in grain size (0.16mm – 2mm in diameter). The material that binds flagstone is usually composed of silica ,calcite , oriron oxide ." But this depends on the current Ph in your tank, some cichlids need a higher Ph.

Now... if only I could buy sand without it being a cost and a half. We may just be going with white sand, screw the black lol

KryptiCouple said:
Now... if only I could buy sand without it being a cost and a half. We may just be going with white sand, screw the black lol

Personally I love the look of white or light colored sand more than dark. I have gravel now but I wish I would've gotten sand to begin with. Next time I go to menards I'm gonna get some play sand and hope my tank doesn't go in a mini cycle!

I used play sand its the quickrete brand from home depot

That's what we're leaning towards since black is out of the question. Keith really wanted black, but I don't feel like buying 20 - 5lbs bags. Oh well! He should be happy he's getting a tank for his birthday... (I am starting to think he really did plan this ;) )

This is what I have and it says it can be used on aquariums.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...uickrete+play+sand&storeId=10051#.UD_wc-XCteY

Convict on here just used a black sand but I'm not sure what or how much he paid for it. I can pm him if you would like. ?

KryptiCouple said:
That's what we're leaning towards since black is out of the question. Keith really wanted black, but I don't feel like buying 20 - 5lbs bags. Oh well! He should be happy he's getting a tank for his birthday... (I am starting to think he really did plan this ;) )

Lol

Andrew McFadden said:
Convict on here just used a black sand but I'm not sure what or how much he paid for it.

Chief used Tahitian Moon Sand I believe, and this can be expensive as well. It can be close to $26 for a 20lb bag

butterfly_koi said:
Chief used Tahitian Moon Sand I believe, and this can be expensive as well.

Yea that's what Dino used

What I used is only a couple bucks like 2.50

Also I think I forgot to say the company changed names and the look of the bag so don't be to confused if you go and look at it.

That's fine. I think we're just going to go the cheap route and get play sand for now. We can always change it out at a later time with black sand.

Howdy!

Personally I prefer a more natural look and don't like the black or white sands. I use Quickrete play sand myself. I know a lot of people will advise against it and suggest pool filter sand, but I don't have easy access to PFS, and have never had any problem with play sand. Just rinse it in a bucket to get most of the dust off. If ya don't, the dust will get suspended in the water when the fish dig and it'll abrade the impeller(s) in yer filter(s).

WYite

Back
Top Bottom