Yellow looking plants, brown tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimsz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Our 40 or so gallon tank has some easy to grow plants in it that were recommended here (annibus? or something similar).

The plants grew really quick and I added a few more (replacing plastic). Tank is probably 1/3 or more real plants to 2/3 plastic.

The plants never were real green but more yellow-green. The very end tips of the plants (1/16" or less) are now turning brown.

Yesterday I purchased some Seachem plant tabs and inserted them into the gravel.

What is the cause of this? Should I also buy liquid co2 to add?

The tank particulars are

75% water changes weekly, all readings are as they should be with little variance week to week, (0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 7.5 ph, 5 or .5 Nitrate (the step above 0 on the scale), 2 hanging filters, airwand, lights on 10-12 hrs a day, no algae. Using a stock light from a "Top Fin" starter kit we bought last year.

plants1.jpg

plants2.jpg

Aquatic Plants

Hello jim...

Aquatic plants take weeks to get used to water conditions. There are some very basic things you can do to give your plants the best chance to grow well. You need to match the lighting to the plants. If you keep to the easier ones, then standard aquarium bulbs, T8s and T12s, 6500 K are all you need.

The plants need fertilizers. Generally, if you have several fish in the tank and use a commercial fert in dry, liquid or granules for the trace elements and dose once a week that's all you need.

One other thing that's important for healthy plants is minerals. Large, weekly water changes of at least half the tank water will provide them.

If you keep to the less demanding plants, you don't need high end lighting or CO2.

Water wisteria likes bright light. If you don't have it, then the lower leaves get too much shade and die. You can float it and get the entire plant close to the light. I find it grows better that way.

B

The plants have been in place for several months butjust recently had the tips go brown.

I have added seachem tabs to the tank but what else whould I do?

Over the coming weekend I will replace the light tube.

Back
Top Bottom