Yellow water, confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaredShope1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I have this problem where my water had a slight yellow tinge to it, and looks like tea when the lights are off. I used organic miracle grow and gravel as my substrate. I thought the yellow was tannins or some type of organic waste, so I got Purigen because I read everywhere that it was an awesome product that removes the tint. I also have activated carbon. The yellow is slightly gone (I guess) but is still quite apparent. I’m quite baffled of what this could be. Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated,

Your suspicion was likely correct. The miracle grow is probably leeching tannins constantly; more than the Purigen can take out. Add more Purigen and increase water changes and it should gradually go away but it will probably take a while.

As Long as your water parameters are in check the tanins shouldn’t hurt anything.

The miracle grow is adding tannins to your water. Purigen will only have a minor effect. Keep doing regular water changes and the water will eventually clear.

Water Problem

Hello,

I have this problem where my water had a slight yellow tinge to it, and looks like tea when the lights are off. I used organic miracle grow and gravel as my substrate. I thought the yellow was tannins or some type of organic waste, so I got Purigen because I read everywhere that it was an awesome product that removes the tint. I also have activated carbon. The yellow is slightly gone (I guess) but is still quite apparent. I’m quite baffled of what this could be. Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated,

Hello Jared...

Most, if not all tank issues can be resolved by simply setting up and following an aggressive water change routine. Work up to the point you remove and replace most of the tank water every week, no excuses. This alone will steady the water chemistry and clear the tank water. This does take a little time, but you and your fish will notice the difference.

B

Back
Top Bottom