Yellow Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KonvictKeeper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have a piece of mopani wood in my aquarium. I boiled it for an hour and soaked it over night. After about 5 days, my water is yellow. So I took it out. They say that it won't harm the fish. What should I do?
Should I change the water or give it some time to filter out the color (I put extra carbon in my filter)?

The wood is leeching tannins into the water. The worst thing it can do is lower your ph a little bit, but its honestly nothing to worry about. If the color really bothers you, do a water change, but its just going to tea up again for a little while.

Water changes will work, but sometimes the tannins can continue to be released for a while. Once you get the really dark tea water taken care of, you can run some charcoal in your filter and it will help clear the water. However, you will have to change the charcoal out every month or two. You will notice when it is time to change it when the tea water comes back.

KonvictKeeper said:
I have only artificial plants right now (check out some of my pics!). I do want to try live plants some time though.

Hey, I don't want to sabotage your thread but you have some nice looking convicts! It looks like male and female is that right? I'm thinking about getting some for my 55 g I bought @ a yard sale used. It's taking a lot of work to get it set up though i guess that's what I get for buying a used tank lol! But anyway I hope to have it set up and ready to go in a couple weeks and was really thinking about some convicts for this 55 g. Any advice you could give me on them would be very helpful, I have other cichlids but have never had convicts! If you want you can pm me, thx. :)

Back
Top Bottom