Yet ANOTHER lr cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
New 80gal set-up almost ready to cycle. Picking up the stand and canopy tomorrow. Getting my RO/DI on Friday. Leveling and running a freshwater test of my equipment this weekend - which reminds me, is it okay to use tap water for the test? Then, I'm draining it, mixing the salt. Let the whole system run for a couple days and I'm ready to cycle.

So, I'm buying 40lbs of base and 45lbs of lr and throwing it in to cycle. Probably going with the very controversial Quickrete play sand since its the only thing HD sells around here. Now, my question - I'm getting less rock because I'm sold on this Gulf rock from liverocks.com, but if I'm using it to cycle my tank aren't I going to lose all the extra hitchhikers that come with the rock? And if so, doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of using lr to cycle rather than killing a damsel or two?

I'm probably way off but I just needed a clarification.

thanks

- Skinnious Petious

if you can wait, you should probably cycle with the base rock and sand only. use a couple uncooked shrimp to cycle the tank first. then after the cycle is done, add your live rock and monitor the water parameters again. you shouldnt have a second cycle, but you might spike up a little bit.

this way, you can cycle your tank and not kill off your live rock inhabitants...

also, check HD again for the sand, but this time look in the garden area. that is where my HD has the tropical play sand. if they dont have it ask them to check the computer for SKU # 578-819. it is the play sand, and it should be in a few stores in your area. especially since you are on the east coast... (i think that MA is maine or massacheusetts ... dang i hope i spelled that right :wink: )

~mike

Back
Top Bottom