Yet another question about PH....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeynuna

Aquarium Advice Regular
Relocated to St. Louis with job. From NYC and soon
Ok, I never really checked the PH of my tap water. I checked it last week with an API liquid test and the PH test out of the tap was 8.8. That's right, 8.8! I then used the PH test kit from my pool and it displayed a PH of 9.8. I called Missouri Water and confirmed that the PH is indeed 9.8. This is a link to the Missouri Water Testing;

Water Quality Reports
Use zip code 63017.

Now, I have three tanks and all three have a constant PH reading of 7.5-6. I have nothing special on any of my filters. I use Bio-Wheels on 2 tanks and an Eheim Canister on one. I don't use the Marineland filter cartridges, instead I use the Bio-Wheel as if it was a canister. I pack ceramic rings for mechanical along with a coarse pad with filter floss on-top and then, well, the bio wheel.

So I filled up an empty 20 gallon tank, added 2ml Prime and let it set for two days. On the second day I tested it and it was 8.8. I added a small power-head to the mix for aeration to see what might happen and left it for 2 days. Tested again PH 8.8.

Ammonia - 0
NitIte - 0
NitAte - 20
PH 7.5
Kh - 4
Gh - 7

My question, if I'm putting tap water into my tank with a PH of 9.8 what is causing the drop to 7.5-6 once it circulates though the tank . I would think it's safe to say that causing such a huge PH swing can't be good for the fish, even though it balances out, it still can't be good. How can I lower the PH of my tap water before I fill the tank?

If you have driftwood or peat, that could be slowly lowering it. I believe decaying organic matter also lowers pH (I think it may have something to do with the bacteria that breaks down organics uses up the oxygen, causing the pH to drop, or maybe something similar) If you have large enough snails, I think they can cause the pH to drop, or at least the hardness.

Normally I would suggest acclimating the fish to your water, but 9.8 is kinda ridiculous. You could get like a 50 gallon tub (rubbermaid) and put a bag of peat in there, and put some carbon in your filter if you don't like the color. Another option is to do like 50-50 RO water.

Back
Top Bottom