Young guppy with internal pink blob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cria

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 5 guppies that I managed to find before they were eaten and transferred them to a small tank for about 4 weeks. When they were big enough to not be seen as food, I moved them back to the big tank. A few days after that I noticed one of the girls had a pink blob inside her where her siblings appeared to have air bladders. She wasn't schooling with her siblings when I noticed this, but otherwise seemed to be swimming fine, eating fine, etc. I've since moved her to a breeder box to keep a better eye on her. She may spend more time resting on the bottom of the box, but I'm not sure about that. She is not tilting, seems to swim OK and still eating and active. Any ideas what this is/how to fix it? See attached pic of fish in question and one of her sister from the same "litter".

1~What type of fish is afflicted? Guppy, female, ~5 weeks old

2~What are your tank parameters GH: 60, KH 0, pH 6.0, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10-20. ~78 degrees F

3~ How large is the tank? 75 gallons, but only filled a little over half way up, and there is a glass divider separating the last ~ 6 inches on one end (tank is being set up for my turtle) How long has the tank been set up? ~10 months

4~What type of filtration are you using? Fluval FX4 450 g/hr

5~How many fish are in the tank? 26 fish: 6 adult zebra danios, two adult golden wonder killifish and three of their fry ( 1~1.5 inches, 2 ~1 inch), One male Betta, two adult female Bettas, 12 guppies; 2 adult males, 4 adult females, 6 6wk old fry ~1.5 inches each. also a lot of juvenile mystery snails. Multiple healthy plants (amazon sword, red ludwigia, crypts, water hyacinth, water lettuce)

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? Did a water change of about 8 gallons yesterday. frequency depends on my travel schedule. may be gone for 7-10 days, but probably do at least one partial water change per week when home. No gravel, slate tile bottom, but I do vacuum the detritus off the bottom.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? about 6 weeks, born in the tank, when transferred back from fry tank, floated to acclimate temp,

8~Have you added anything new to the tank-- No

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Omega one frozen brine shrimp, fluval bug bites tropical fish food, Hikari fancy guppy, Aqueon betta bites. Before moving to big tank they were on Hikari first bites, Hikari fancy guppy and occasional Hikari frozen baby brine shrimp.

Attachments

• pinkblob.jpg
    pinkblob.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 174
  • nopinkblob.jpg
    nopinkblob.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 98
In case anyone else has this issue, I figured I'd post an update. I put a dose or two of Melafix in the tank to treat another fish with popeye, and I'm not sure if that's what did it or not, but the pink went away. I'm pretty sure that the swim bladder wall is normally clear had become inflamed and that it turned pink. Unfortunately, it has turned pink again. The fish still seems mostly OK. Treated the tank with an actual antibiotic but hasn't cleared up yet. Waiting on advice from my exotic Vet. She thinks we might need to dose something for gram negative bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom