Z External Parasites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Hi all,

I'm interested in what people find a successful med for external parasites? Any issues. If salt, could you share dosage? Not really interested in ich treatments but share if keen.

Either copper or General cure / Metronidazole seem to be the best 2 options for medicating external parasites.

Thanks for the feedback. Enormously appreciated.

Any others out there? Come on peoples, it's just out of interest.

It honestly depends on what external parasite you are seeking advice upon as there is quite a variety beyond basic ich and treatments vary based upon a variety of factors.

Even with ich, treatment protocols vary depending on the type of fish in question (scaleless, coldwater, tropical, sensitive, etc) and its environment (sw, brackish, planted, inverts, ph levels, etc). What may work in tank A may be a disaster in tank B. General treatment methods (ie, heat, meds and/or salt) are not a 100% guarantee as there are now documented strains that can tolerate high heat, increased salinities and general ich meds (malachite green and/or formalin). Access to meds is another consideration (varies by country) as is the possibility of other health issues that may need to be addressed initially or concurrently. For example, a fish with ich and a serious bacterial infection will be further compromised by high heat as it increases bacterial multiplication exponentially.

What I would suggest for a goldfish in quarantine will not be the same as a newly added platy in a community tank or a loach in a planted tank. It is very situation dependent. And, yes (as a side note), ich is sw is not the same parasite as fw but commonly called by the same name.

We will be happy to answer any questions you may have but it would help if you can be a bit more specific! :)

Ok, hmm - well let's say a parasite not really visible (so excluding anchor worms). And let's say it's confirmed enough to pick a treatment method. Pick an example where you had to do this recently and post experience doing it. Tips and tricks.

Background -

This is theoretical I note and I'm interested in any fish type and anyone's experience really.

It's mainly meds that I'm interested in but basically any treatment that people used for treating external parasites and how it went. I kind of doubt I'm going to get swamped with numerous replies so that was why the question was open. I'm sorry, I can tighten further if needed.

The interest (apart from honestly it being hobby) is that looking through the posts for unhealthy fish, people are trying to treat and that's it - off into the sunset. I don't mean that as a bad thing but sometimes I like to come back and see what is working in the cold light of day. I don't know if that makes sense but it was the idea behind posting in a separate thread a while back how people found pimafix and melafix for bettas and if it was really a real problem or an aquarium myth.

I don't need to treat a fish so it's not life and death. So if someone treated for x,y,z and solved with just water changes or someone treated using a fancy med I'm interested.

Actually I've thought of something more specific :)

What is the difference between Praziquantel and Metronidazole? It seems the first is more for worms(?) and the second more for protozoal parasites(?) but I don't really understand what these do or what sort of chemicals/drugs they are?

Actually I've thought of something more specific :)

What is the difference between Praziquantel and Metronidazole? It seems the first is more for worms(?) and the second more for protozoal parasites(?) but I don't really understand what these do or what sort of chemicals/drugs they are?

Well, you have probably read quite a few of my goldfish posts! Standard ich protocol for my guys is .3% salinity (raised gradually over 48hrs then reduced gradually after treatment) and maintained for minimum of one week after the last spot is gone. Large, frequent wcs are part of this. On a very rare occasion, I have gone as high as .5% salinity but this is rarely ever necessary and I would prefer to consider other alternatives if possible. 99% of the time, treatment takes 10-12 days tops and it always a fish that is already in quarantine. Please ask if you need more specifics!

Prazi is 'technically' a de-wormer but it only addresses very specific worms (tapeworms and some trematodes). It's best known as a de-wormer in canines and felines as tapeworms are a common issue in household pets. Although fish can get tapeworms, it's been my experience that this is not a big issue. Perhaps it's a different story with wild caught fish but I can not speak from experience so I honestly do not have an answer.

Prazi's big benefit in fish is in treating flukes. Prior fluke treatment options were very toxic to fish (and every other aquatic creature) and difficult to remove from an environment once administered. I have used prazi on fish as young as two weeks, in planted tanks and with inverts without incident and it's the one medicine I always have on hand.

Metro is another medicine that I also like to keep stocked. It's mostly commonly known as an antibiotic against anaerobic bacteria. It's also effective against some Protozoa and parasites. It combines well with prazi (such as in API General Cure) to address a more broad range of issues. It can be very effective in treating a fish with symptoms of an intestinal issue (weight loss, bloating, lack of appetite, odd waste, etc) and is a frequent choice for fish that is just starting to dropsy.

Of course, these are very broad generalizations here and not intended to specifically diagnose or treat any creature. If you more specifics, please ask! :)

Thanks heaps, yes I like to read your posts as very informative. That makes a lot more sense (spent last night reading up on tapeworms and flatworms!).

Also that's something I'd never thought about either that anaerobic bacteria could be inside the fish - I'd always just ignored anything on that before.

Thanks heaps, yes I like to read your posts as very informative. That makes a lot more sense (spent last night reading up on tapeworms and flatworms!).

Also that's something I'd never thought about either that anaerobic bacteria could be inside the fish - I'd always just ignored anything on that before.

The problem is, intestinal infections (or infections of other organs) are difficult to diagnose with any accuracy. Fancies, due to their physical build and nature of their digestive system, are more prone to intestinal issues than most fish. Major reasoning behind feeding them an appropriate diet and lots of veggies to try and minimize problems they are already prone to encountering. :)

The problem is, intestinal infections (or infections of other organs) are difficult to diagnose with any accuracy. Fancies, due to their physical build and nature of their digestive system, are more prone to intestinal issues than most fish. Major reasoning behind feeding them an appropriate diet and lots of veggies to try and minimize problems they are already prone to encountering. :)

It rang a bell possibly with a Molly I lost where I adjusted the heater slightly but it decided to bump the temp up several degrees C. From a certain angle I noticed a faint pine coning or ruffling of the scales. Didn't think much of it and went off to bed. Lost the fish the next day.

I was also wondering if metro or prazi were any use for freshwater ich? Apologies if this is blindingly obvious, I've just never seen much on these before. I did see a few posts of it being tried and also for saltwater ich but didn't come away after reading much wiser.

It rang a bell possibly with a Molly I lost where I adjusted the heater slightly but it decided to bump the temp up several degrees C. From a certain angle I noticed a faint pine coning or ruffling of the scales. Didn't think much of it and went off to bed. Lost the fish the next day.

I was also wondering if metro or prazi were any use for freshwater ich? Apologies if this is blindingly obvious, I've just never seen much on these before. I did see a few posts of it being tried and also for saltwater ich but didn't come away after reading much wiser.

Prazi will have no effect on ich. Although I have not personally tried treating ich with metro, I have read studies that suggest it is an effective treatment means of treatment. Quinine sulfate is also another option (and it's safe for scaleless fish, sensitive fish, etc) for treatment and has proven to be effective even in cases of med/heat/salt resistant strains. Problem is, it's extremely difficult to find or even purchase thanks to its illicit use in other trade areas.

Thanks for the information. Wow, I had to hunt a bit for the other use of quinine but pretty incredible reading. :)

Back
Top Bottom