Zebra Danio getting harassed by juveniles (?) - PICS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kruggar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi folks,

This is my first post here (facts- yes!!)
First off, I'm the type of person who does their research before getting any pets (I seriously can't stand when people get animals on a whim, ask for help, and ignore the advice of the experienced ones :rolleyes: on forums like this). I'm mostly concerned about the behavior changes that have resulted from my latest addition..

1) I own a 20G tank with 10 juv Danios rerio (longest is 1.25", shortest is 1", 5 juv panda corydoras.

2) My friend was selling their old aquarium and offered me some of their fish. In there was several dozen platys, and a lone, full-grown zebra longtail. As my tank isn't yet fully stocked (80% per AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor based on these being mature adults) so I offered to take the zebra danio and a few baby platies.

3) upon putting the fish in the tank, I've noticed that the male juvenile danios have been harassing the large longfin quite badly. I believe it is a female, but I'm not entirely sure (haven't seen any this massive before). My concern is that they are nipping her beautiful long fins, and that this is stressing the fish. She's much too slow to get away from the smaller shortfins. I haven't witnessed any nipping of the tail, but they seem to be headbutting her side only (possibly nipping the side fins).

So my question is... should I be concerned about the harassing? is this breeding behavior as shes getting prodded by a males only (This noob hasn't seen breeding yet)?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks ya'll

Shot of the whole aquarium:
10613052_10152444058327705_642538720949418527_n.jpg

The new additions:
10710923_10152444058202705_8035286909110875302_n.jpg

Only non-blurry zebra danio:
10382749_10152403024937705_8323298699656582533_n.jpg

So, I understand that some think that a 20G is too small...

I've read a lot of contradicting material about the correct tank size for Danios... I've come to the conclusion that bigger is always better (when you compare any aquarium cage to what space they would have in the wild). My long term plan is to upgrade to a larger tank (30-40G) once these small guys get closer to maturity. Which will give me time to pick up a cheap one in the classifieds. A 20G is too small for fish 1/3rd adult size?

In any case, I may have jumped the gun with my concerns; been keeping an eye on the new arrangements, and they've completely laid off of her. Shes began to dance with the largest male and is guarding a little area. I've given her a close inspection and it doesn't appear that she's missing any nips from her fins. Is it possible this behavior was just the initial pecking order sorting itself out?

Thoughts?
thanks

The reason most people say 20 is to small is because of their activity level.

Maybe the were just developing a pecking order
Fishobsessed7

Back
Top Bottom