Zebra Mantis Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acolotto

Aquarium Advice Freak
A couple weeks ago i set up a 5 gallon nano reef aquarium. I already have a 55 gallon aquarium which i took the rock and half the sand from. The orginal plan was to get a bonded sexy shrimp pair and fill with frags, but today I went a different route and got a zebra mantis shrimp about 2.5 to 3 inches long. First of all I know this is way to small of a tank but the plan is after the holidays is to get a nuvo 30 gallon. But The current tank is 5.5 gallon aquarium with about a 3.5" sand bed and 6 lbs of rock. I am running a aqua clear 20 with ruck rubble and chateo, 50 w heater, hydorila nano 425, and for lighting i have a ecoexotic par38 20k 3 blue and 2 white led. I acclimated him for about 2 hrs then dropped him in with 5 hermit crabs and also a cleanup crew from reef cleaners arriving wednesday so he will have plenty of food. As well i fed him so rods food as it being a new home and not expecting him to go after the hermits right away. But besides knowing that they get a lot bigger and they burrow and need a very dsp the larger the shrimp grows anything else i should know, expect, any tips and tricks as this is my first mantis. Also how are they with corals?

Here are some fts as well

Attachments

• image-2245548225.jpg
    image-2245548225.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 107
  • image-3065886619.jpg
    image-3065886619.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 107
  • image-1798345325.jpg
    image-1798345325.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 116
Actually after more research I believe this is a tiger mantis shrimp (Gonodactylus chiragra) ill post pics tomorrow

Nice tank. My main concern would be the fact that mantis shrimps could break glass. If the shrimp burrows, keep an eye on the rock structure because the last thing you want is to have it topple over and crack the tank

Back
Top Bottom