Zebra nerite snail dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khuligirl93

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently got a nerite snail for my newly "aquascaped" 10g (20g HOB filter, set up for 4+ years, lightly planted, flora max substrate, no additives at the moment)
My water parameters are:
Ammonia: 0 or .25 (hard to tell difference in color)
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5-10ppm
PH: 7.4-7.6

I got this little guy 2 days ago and at first he was zipping around the tank, munching on everything. One minute I would look and he would be on one side of the tank, and a few minutes later he would be on the opposite side! But now he just sits in one place all day and when he moves it is only a few centimeters and he is very slow. He is on the front glass and I can see that he is not eating because I never see his little mouth out in front if his body anymore. He just sits tucked into his shell.
I have a piece of limestone in the tank because of previous problems with snail shell deterioration. I even put a piece if lettuce in the water weighed down with a rock and put him on top of it but he just moved back to his spot on the glass and ignored it. Anyone know if something is wrong with him?
I don't know if my water supply has copper in it, but I do know that it comes out of the tap at a pH of 9!

Good news, I snuck up on him in the dark last night and he was happily gliding along the glass eating! Maybe he's just nocturnal :)

Back
Top Bottom