Zebra Nerite snail seems sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my snail for 8 months and he has been happy and healthy. He was always so active and fun to watch, but recently he has been spending a lot of time outside of the water and then just two days ago I noticed that he has a crack in his shell. I will add calcium to the water, but concerned this might not help because he is spending so much time out of the water. Help!

My nerites can spend time above the water line usually eating bio film. Like Autumn says they do need fed as well, mine especially love cucumber it's easy for them to eat especially if you blanch it.
Are you parameters ok? Sometimes they can leave the water if something is wrong.
Is the crack fine? If it is I wouldn't worry too much. I have a 5 year old nerite who has a crack in his shell which has been there since I bought him and is still doing fine.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon shrimp and snail tank

Yes I feed him; he has food in the tank. I do have very soft water otherwise all the parameters are good, that is why although the nerite snails usually do not require added calcium I have thought about doing that but he is not spending a lot of time in the water. I am concerned he might have a little bit of rot on the very tip of his shell.

Back
Top Bottom