~10 Gallon Cichlid aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bullnugget

Aquarium Advice Activist
While at the Fish store last night my wife found some sort of cichlid, not sure which display only said asst cichlids....Anyway it was about 5-6" long pinkish blue color and she REALLY like it. She wanted it for my 55 gallon community and I told her no its a lot bigger than the rest and I don't know for sure if it would work out, then see proceeded to buy some 3-4 gallon piece of crap that was probably worth about $2....real classy woman fit!!LOL

Anyway, I thought I might set her up a small 10 gallon cichlid tank, Probably just 2 fish, male and female. I have read that they are kind of social so one may not be that great. Not sure on to get though, obviously they cant be more than 4-5" each, also thinking of putting some cherry shrimp or something in the bottom for a clean up crew? Any ideas on what breeds will work?

I picked up a couple German Rams yesterday so something else would be nice...

All cichlids need a bigger tank then a ten gallon and they will all eat shrimp. IMO 20 gallons are the starting point to keep some

There are some small species of apistogramma that may work, but they tank needs to be built around them. You might be able to pull off rams but get ready for lots of water changes. IMO Stick with some shrimp and a micro fish.

You could do a pair of shell dwellers, like Multi's in a 10 gallon but not shrimp, they will be eaten.

You could do a pair of shell dwellers, like Multi's in a 10 gallon but not shrimp, they will be eaten.

Multis are colony breeders and do best in groups, and while a 10 gallon will actually support a group of 5, a 20 gallon long will work out MUCH better in the long run

The bigger the better for African cichlids. 10 gallon tank is punishment.

I was thinking just about 10 gallons, something small could be 15 or 20 to. Just wanting 1 or 2 fish but guess it wont work

Back
Top Bottom