10 gallon cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRacey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a free ten gallon tank. I was thinking about putting maybe a pair of cichlids in there. Any ideas on what kind I should do? Yes I know there's not a lot of choices I have for such a small tank. But I know theirs some types of cichlids I can keep in a 10 gallon for a little while and then put them in my bigger tank. So any ideas?

I'm fairly new to keeping cichlids, but I have read over and over that a 29 gallon is the minimum size tank for cichlids. They like to have lots of room to swim, and because they swim so fast, the more length the better. I would advise trying to find a bigger tank. I know tanks aren't cheap, but I find deals on craigslist quite often. Usually people just don't have the room and want to sell as quickly as possible. Hope this helps. Wish I could say what kind to get, but I'm still new to cichlids myself.

Tanganikan shell dwelling cichlid tank don't know how to spell it
Are they cool fish to keep? And yeah I realize my tanks small. I have a 55 and a 110 at my other house. It's just I sold all my yellow lab fry in my ten and wanted to change it up and get some other type of cichlid

Are they cool fish to keep? And yeah I realize my tanks small. I have a 55 and a 110 at my other house. It's just I sold all my yellow lab fry in my ten and wanted to change it up and get some other type of cichlid
They're my favorite cichlids. They don't have all that much color but they have a hilarious personality.

They're very cool... really active and not too shy. There are a lot of different species of shell dwelling cichlids. Some get larger than others so you'll want to stick to a smaller species. Lamprologus multifasciatus is a good starter species that you can keep in a 10 gallon. I think L brevis is another good one, although I have not kept this fish. L ocellatus is another popular species, but this one IME is more aggressive than multifasciatus and mine ended up killing each other off in a 10 gallon.

Alright! Thanks guys for the advice! Any idea on price for these guys? And the type of decorations I should have?

You have to have shells their whole lives revolves around the shells they love in not sure of the price sure you can find a good price just look online your welcome!!!:)

I would agree multis would be the best choice. I would expect you to be able to get them for under $10 a piece they are kind of rare if you are going by what you lfs stocks

Back
Top Bottom