10 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely one of the types of shellies or another dwarf cichlid species. I would look at the various Apistogramma species as well.

No apistos in a 10 gallon
You can do she'll dwellers
Or a shrimp tank with snails
What I have in mine is
Lots of live plants
1 male betta
5 neon tetras
3 african dwarf frogs
2 mystery snails

Really? No apistos in a 10 gallon? Cause i have seen it done many times successfully. As long as you do it properly, it is not that big of a challenge. I'm quite confident wyrenegade can provide accurate information and I will agree with a pair of smaller apistos, such as apistogramma agassizi or cacatuoides. You would be limited to the pair and *possibly* a small group of nano dither fish, like chili rasbora, celestial pearl danio, sudadanio axelrodi, etc

Oh ok, if they are going to be the only fish in the tank then that is fine, thought they would be with other fish
Don't know if OP would want only 2 fish in there

CPDs
Blue Eyed Rainbows or Threadfins
Micro Rasbora species
Scarlet Badis
Tiny Cories like C habrosus

There are some great choices among nano fish. Harder to find sometimes. Need plants usually.
This is an old pic of my 10g
zamypyha.jpg

My other 10g
suqapyva.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396599999.923667.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396599999.923667.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 72
What I have in my ten: celebese Rainbowfish, cardinal tetra, Glowlight tetra, clown Pleco, GloFish Danio, and German Blue Rams.

Id love to do Blue Rams. How many can I do in a 10 gallon? What kind of plants do they perfer. Whats the best substrate....

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Generally 2-3, is all you would want in a ten. They are used to soft water and a ph about 5-7, although mine are doing fine in 7.6. They like plants, although I'm not a plant person. South American plants, slow flowing water. Rams are very sensitive to water quality changes. The smallest nitrite spikes can kill them. As for substrate, I'm not sure what they prefer, I have small stones, but they are middle/top dwellers so the bottom doesn't concern them that much.

Id love to do Blue Rams. How many can I do in a 10 gallon? What kind of plants do they perfer. Whats the best substrate....

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would not recommend GBRs for a 10g. They need room for territory and they can be sensitive to water conditions. A 10g can change faster than a 20g. A 20g Long would be the smallest I'd attempt.

They also get to 3". Other dwarf Cichlids stay smaller.
They are not considered an easy keeper.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+889+1084&pcatid=1084

Generally 2-3, is all you would want in a ten. They are used to soft water and a ph about 5-7, although mine are doing fine in 7.6. They like plants, although I'm not a plant person. South American plants, slow flowing water. Rams are very sensitive to water quality changes. The smallest nitrite spikes can kill them. As for substrate, I'm not sure what they prefer, I have small stones, but they are middle/top dwellers so the bottom doesn't concern them that much.

3 is not typically a good number with GBRs, and should not be recommended, especially in that small of tank. GBR's pair, which means the odd fish out is going to get harassed and beaten. In a larger tank, like a 30, you might get away with it if it were heavily planted.

I also would go with a 20 long with a single pair, because of territory and water stability issues. If you were doing major water changes every day to keep parameters consistent, then you might get away with it.

It's true, although I have never lost one, they have a reputation for being extremely sensitive. Where you get the fish matters too. For a sensitive fish like Rams I would avoid petsmart , petco etc. I got mine from a local breeder. There are several online places to order quality fish from as well. (lots of threads about them)

Rams are not a beginner fish. So maybe start easy, let your tank establish itself, and then when your tank has been solid for a year or so think about getting some rams.
Most fish that small don't really have long life expectancy 2-5 years for most. So you'll have opportunity to try new things.

3 is not typically a good number with GBRs, and should not be recommended, especially in that small of tank. GBR's pair, which means the odd fish out is going to get harassed and beaten. In a larger tank, like a 30, you might get away with it if it were heavily planted.

I also would go with a 20 long with a single pair, because of territory and water stability issues. If you were doing major water changes every day to keep parameters consistent, then you might get away with it.

This guy obviously knows more about Rams than me. I said three because if the 1:1 rule (one inch of fish per gallon water) I have a pair, male and female.

I think I should note, my ten is over filtered with high quality media, I run a UV filter as well, and do maintenance like clock work, very regimented very precise.

This guy obviously knows more about Rams than me. I said three because if the 1:1 rule (one inch of fish per gallon water) I have a pair, male and female.

I think I should note, my ten is over filtered with high quality media, I run a UV filter as well, and do maintenance like clock work, very regimented very precise.

1" per Gallon is outdated and Not a good way to stock a tank.

With that rule you could put a 10" Oscar in a 10g.

1" per Gallon is outdated and Not a good way to stock a tank.

With that rule you could put a 10" Oscar in a 10g.

Well obviously, but you'd think that would be common sense. Of course it's not just 1:1 you have to consider all the factors, but in regards to stocking it's a good thing to remember. A neon tetra fits in a 10 gallon just fine, but you wouldn't put 30 of them in.

But like I said, you know about Rams more than me. Could 3 Rams fit in a ten gallon, yes. But it's not a good idea behaviorally.

I'm saying a 10g isn't recommended for even a single GBR. IME. If you are experienced and have a heavily planted 10g with excellent water....it's still a tiny tank for a 3" fish.

Back
Top Bottom