10 Gallon Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think blue rams would be fine in there. It would look nice with three blue rams and some Blackskirt or mexican tetras

I'm having a hard time finding rams where I live every time I find a place that carries em they are out or haven't had any in a while. Live in phoenix az btw just in case anyone else lives here.

Been trying to find a male for my community planted tank because the male of my pair died.

Just remember that not all Shellie species are going to be available. They aren't exactly common. But if you can find a good LFS, they can usually order some in. Once you start getting into distinct collection points, the price generally goes up (not always, but generally). With that being said, most brevis collection points are going to be a good starter for a beginner. Shellies tend to be quite forgiving with water parameters.

In October 2012, I went in the hospital for spinal surgery (tumor on my spinal cord) and was gone for a week and had no problem with my colony of 4 multis in a 6.6 gallon fluval edge (my colony now lives in a 39 column). They had fry just prior to me being admitted to the hospital. I returned home, but was having severe migraines and the noise from my filter was bothering it horribly (spinal headaches are terrible, noise and light make them exponentially worse, cause by a leak in the spinal fluid). Anyway, I got readmitted to the hospital to have the leak sewn shut and forgot to plug the filter in. They went for a week with no surface movement . While I lost all my fry, all four of my adults survived, and 2 of my largest fry survived as well. Basically, they can survive some bad conditions!

Wow! That's lucky and impressive! I wish I had the money to set up a new aquarium for a good sized colony!

Rams don't do well in harems and are quite sensitive to nitrates, and I think three adults would be a risk. Especially when two pair up and beat on the third

Rams don't do well in harems and are quite sensitive to nitrates, and I think three adults would be a risk. Especially when two pair up and beat on the third

Ok, so what would I recommend? There will be a bigger tank on the future fr them but for now... What's best for the ten gallon?

The only cichlids I will really recommend for a 10 are shellies, multifasciatus is the smallest known cichlid species. You could get away with a pair of rams at best, if you plan on upgrading, or a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides. Otherwise you can go the nano route and get a school of nano fish, like chili rasboras, ember tetras, etc. and then get a small centerpiece fish that's like a cichlid, like a scarlet badis, and then do cherry shrimp as well (although you'd have to add the badis later as they eat shrimp larvae sometimes)

Back
Top Bottom