100 gallon question.... discus tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andyvette

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have the opportunity to get a RO unit- this one-
http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22557;category_id=3215;pcid1=1755;pcid2=
for $50.....

The main reason I want to do this is I have a 100 gallon tall that I am debating between a mnuba tank or a discus tank.

My water is hard, so the mnuba would be no problem.... but nothing is pretty than a discus IMO. If I got that, could I run a discus tank with 100 gallons, inline and submersible heater. With a Rena XP3 cannister and 2 small aquaclear HOBs (for a little surface agitation)?

EDITED: I no longer want to do a discus tank... daily water changes are a bit much for me. I think I will stick to Mnuba :D Although an Angel Tank might be interesting too...... Should I still get the RO unit?

Just a note here Andyvette. I've kept discus successfully in a planted 125g doing pwcs once a week. The trick is to keep the bioload small. :wink:

BrianNY said:
Just a note here Andyvette. I've kept discus successfully in a planted 125g doing pwcs once a week. The trick is to keep the bioload small. :wink:

Does my setup sound good enough to handle discus? It would have ecocomplete substrate... plants..... driftwood.... etc. But a 100 gallon tall seems almost ideal for a discus or angel tank.... and again, good deal on the RO unit, or do I need it?

Thanks to Brian's guidance and support I have a 75 gal planted discus tank. I do 2 water changes per week. The reason I do this is I have 9 juvy's in this tank and want to keep the parameters good. My nitrates have never been over 5ppm yet, so it is working. Brian has several discus tanks and has helped me many times with my discus. You can take his word on it.

IME PWC are not needed everyday. once a week to two weeks if its done properly. I have gone a month with no problems but wouldn't reccomend. Its also a 100gal tank with 4 adult and 6 juvinile discus., 20 assorted other fish.

I've only done it with adults. I kept 5 in a 125g with a small school of black neons, 3 small clown loaches (which got very large), and a pair of dwarf BNs. Oh yes, the obligatory otos. I've since removed them and all my discus tanks are discus only. IMO, it makes them easier to care for this way, and they do require more care.

IME juvenile and adult discus should almost be treated as seperate species. Juves are so much more delicate and suffer worse should a problem occur. On the other hand, I've seen adults bounce back from near death.

Discus will shed their slime coat making them a rather messy fish and a threat to their own environment. This shed slime coat is a breeding ground for harmful bacteria at the elevated temps discus require. It rapidly increases the DOCs in the water column and needs to be removed through pwcs. This is why discus owners do so many pwcs. The more discus you have in your tank (as well as other fish), the greater the need for tank maintenance.

To answer your question Andyvette, the tank is ideal for 6 adult discus and a few good tankmates. The RO unit is a good idea if your water is very hard.

Back
Top Bottom