100 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CalebZachary

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 100 gallon tank. I have an emperor 400 GPH HOB filter, and a Aqueon 400 GPH on the way. I want to get two Oscars. Do you think this is enough filtration for them?

I would say no. But with large weekly water changes you might be alright. You could definitely do two small ones for a while, until they got around 4". You will really want to watch your water parameters. Even though the fish might live in water with high nitrate level for a couple days it is still NOT good to have the up and downs all the time.

Did the 90 gallon have 2 oscars in it? They are really messy fish. And by messy I mean they take a lot of poops.

Yeah, it had two of them in it.

The tank is 60"x26" with a depth I believe on 16 " so it is a little bit over 100 gallons. It was a custom made tank. I'd really like to be able to get two oscars in there, if not, I would want to try an Oscar, and maybe JD's, convicts or another type of cichilid.

Can you fit a sump tank underneath? This doubles water volume and keeps params more stable, also you can hook up an external filter too the sump so no pipe work on your main tank just overflow and return pipe, oscars are a messy fish and require really good filtration I bred them few years back in a 90 gallon tank but it had huge filtration and they were happy

Realistically neither of them filters after media is in them are doing 400gph.

I'd buy a canister, fluval06 if you have the funds or maybe a Rena4. In combination with the hob.

I had two 110's on a 75 and was still doing weekly 50-60% wc's with just one 10-12" fish. Large cichlids are super messy. Not to mention the poop people size deuces... Haha.

Realistically neither of them filters after media is in them are doing 400gph.

I'd buy a canister, fluval06 if you have the funds or maybe a Rena4. In combination with the hob.

I had two 110's on a 75 and was still doing weekly 50-60% wc's with just one 10-12" fish. Large cichlids are super messy. Not to mention the poop people size deuces... Haha.

Lol, I don't think I have the funds right now for a canister filter. With all I've spent on the other stuff right now I'm a bit low.

Would a smaller canister filter work with the two HOB filters?

Can you fit a sump tank underneath? This doubles water volume and keeps params more stable, also you can hook up an external filter too the sump so no pipe work on your main tank just overflow and return pipe, oscars are a messy fish and require really good filtration I bred them few years back in a 90 gallon tank but it had huge filtration and they were happy
I probably could. But sumps are pricey, sir.

SunSun cannisters are a real bang for your buck. You can get one for a 55g from anywhere $80-100 delivered. Cannisters are where its at IMO. Easy to maintain, less maintenance.....and they MOVE water.

Back
Top Bottom