110 african cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you think I should still add filter floss to the xp 3's?

It might help. Add a thicker ammount than what you normally use. Also try the vacuum. Whatever you do, dont remove 80% of the water. Mainly because when you re-add water. The force will cause the bottom to stir up and leave it a mess again

I don't really wanna do such a large water change unless I absolutely have too... But I think that's what bobofishman meant by usi g the plastic lid and such so you do t disturb the bottom too much.. I'll try adding more filter floss and just do more wc's and wait it out. Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions!

If your tank is established the large water change will not hurt anything I have been keeping fish for years and I do major water changes once every 4 months to keep any disease from hurting my fish and I can say I have no issues ever.. the only problem I have is my fish spawn to much...

My tank is fully cycled but I wouldn't say it's "established" yet. It's all new substrate in there. I cycled it with 1 xp3 and when it was cycled I slowly moved my fish over from a 65 gallon. When the 65 was empty I switched the 404 over to the 110. And I added the second xp3 within this last week. I'm just worried about losing too much BB I suppose.

Or should I say I'm worried I wouldn't have enough BB to support such a large wc? Does that make sense or am I worried about nothing?

Your main bb is in your filter not your water since it is new substrate it don't have a lot anyway and as long as you don't let your substrate come out of the water the bb will still be there water has nothing to do with your bb as long as you condition your water Your bb wont change. Doing a big water change is just elimanating any bad stuff like ammonia and nitrites in the water . I use conditioner called Prime just fyi.

Oh ya I use prime as well! Good stuff! So you think I have enough BB built up then? Just with everything else being so new?

The 404 is good! It's been up and running for 6+ months. The 1 xp3 has been going for about a month but the other is less than a week. The fluval had fluval biomax and the xp3's have eheims subpro.

I still say run some more filter floss. Double the ammount. Then vacuum your substrate to remove loose particles lying thete on top

I'll be adding more filter floss fr sure and will go from there.

I still say run some more filter floss. Double the ammount. Then vacuum your substrate to remove loose particles lying thete on top

Did what you suggested, what a difference I noticed withing a couple of hours! Thanks.

Do nothing, it will clear up in just a little while. My tank was cloudy for a full month but now it is crystal clear! Be patient the cloudy water does not hurt the cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom