125 gal stocking suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cksasquatch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Starting my first cichlid tank. 125 gal. 72x21x18 I think. Fluval 406 and eheims 2217 for filters.

I'm going with pool filter sand and holey rock. Any stocking suggestions? This is my first cichlid setup. I have done tropical before. I'd like a lot of color. :)

Need more specific characteristics you're looking for in a cichlid, it's like telling your real estate agent, "I want a house", way too broad lol :p

Cichlids from where? South and or central america? Africa? Madagascar? How big? 4-5", 6-8", 12"+??

Mean? Passive? Etc..
Personable? Less personable?

Thanks, shes a wild festae. Ill make. Thread for them when i upload all the pics to photobucket.

OP this is another fish you could consider. ExCichlasoma festae

Sorry guys. New to cichlids. Little overwhelmed. I've been trying to research but there's so many if them! I would like personable ones. Semi-large. Lots of colors. Preferably not hitler mean.

125g hmm
Three severums, two fire mouths. And some silver dollars.

Maybe two oscars, extremely personable, but territorial and predatory.

Vieja community- Synspilium, argenta, fenestrum,

O i just saw your preferably african. I cant really help you with those. Sorry. I know some about them but not enough to give you a full stock list.

I don't but I know some people on here do. I'd either go all male peacocks or mbuna myself.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Since your tank is relatively large, you could test out mbuna + peacocks; however you'll need to really research to see which species are mild/peaceful and which are aggressive, and even then you'd still need to watch them closely to make sure that there are no aggression issues. After that you'll need to weave out any bullies in the tank, but if you want to go the easy route will a higher chance of success, just go with one of the two species.

You'll also have to decide whether you want to breed or not due to the fact that their aggression level will go through the roof with females in the tank, especially peacocks since all the females look very similar so even 1-2 females could rile them all up.

In that case I'd suggest going with mbuna since you can have multiple species, if you go the peacock route you'll likely end up with a hybrid.

Back
Top Bottom