Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2021, 04:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

125 makeover! (African or South American)

Hello everyone this is my first post in a while so I hope everybody is doing well!!

So my 125 is currently in need of an upgrade and makeover.

It was mainly an angelfish tank but with my angel population not as high as it was and an empty 80gal I'm thinking about moving them into the 80 gallon and doing a full makeover of the 120.

I have never done a successful African cichlid tank before mainly because the last time I tried it I was very young and just thought they was pretty fish lol

So here is my dilemma. Do I keep it South America and maybe just get a couple of additional fish and maybe spruce up the tank a little bit. I could move my two red spot severums that I have in a different 90 gallon tank in with the angelfish as they grew out in that tank to begin with.

Or do I do what I have always secretly dreamed of and have a colorful African cichlid tank with black sand and white rocks dead coral and seashells.

My first thought was using a yellow lab population supplemented with Rusty cichlids or Yellow Tail Acei. Then I thought a peacock cichlid tank could be also fun. The red eureka are especially pretty.

What do you all think? Any recommendations along one of those lines?

Old 12-08-2021, 08:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay update time. I've decided that I'm going to make the 125 into the South American cichlid tank and move the severums and threadfin acara (one male) over to it and maybe add a couple of additional severums to grow out in the tank.

That means the 90ish gallon custom-made acrylic tank will be empty and I will set it up as the Mbuna tank.

I was thinking some small mbunas and maybe a few rusty cichlids. Maybe 15 Total? Would that be too much? From what I understand Mbuna tanks are typically overstocked to a degree to help with aggression but I don't want to overstate that degree.

Tags
african, american, south america, south american

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com