125 Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BozziniINC

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i just moved across country from North Carolina to Oregon and luckly i was able to take my 125 gallon and 75 gallon aquariums with me. I am going to do a freshwater SA cichlid/oddball for the 125 gallon. A local fish store called the wet spot in Portland Oregon (beautiful and amazing store, go check it out if you live in portland or near it) have many different kinds of fish. So far my current stock I would like to do is as follow
x1 Big eyed oscar (rare breed of oscar)
x1 or 2 Jurupari Cichlids
x1 Sengal Bichir
I need help finding other fish, i love clown loaches and before you go saying the oscar will eat the loach i have kept 3 different oscars with many different fish that were full grown and incredibly sweet, I even had one with clown loaches and was almost a bodyguard for them from the other fish. Please tell me other fish suggestions, i do have about 190 gallons of filtration on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also the aquarium is 6 feet long if that helps and will have a sand bottom and decorated with slate rock and lots of driftwood

I am moving this to the cichlid section since it seems to mostly pertain to what fish can go with your chosen cichlids. :)

Do you have any other ideas for what sorts of things you would like? With a good store at your access, you should also have access to some cool plecos or catfish.

I would love to get some more south american cichlids or odd balls.

Yeah, as long as the CL's are big enough, the Oscar will ignore. I have two big ones with my Oscar. Jurapari's ive not kept but i understand they're best in 5 or 6's. Thats the reason i haven't kept them so far.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Your stocking is going to be maxed out with what you already want to put in without adding anything else. I have my wild caught oscar and a small male Red Point in my 6 foot 125 and 2 50%+ water changes are required a week to keep the nitrates below 20ppm which is where they need to be, especially for oscars and the such. It hits 20ppm... time for a 50% water change. Just something for you to keep in mind as I'm sure you know how much bioload and oscar creates. Your filtration will need to be more as well. Don't go by the aquarium size rating for filtration especially with large messy cichlids. You'll want minimum 10x times the turnover rate with HOB filters and min 5 times the turnover rate with canisters. I use an FX5 filled with the stock foam and the middle trays with as much bio max as I could get in there and an AC110 filled with the foam only for mechanical filtration mostly. I add poly fill the the AC110 once in a while to help polish the water.

Back
Top Bottom