125g African cichlid setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JF213

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 125g tank. I want to finally get African cichlids. I always had SA/CA. I really like peacocks and yellow labs. Wondering how many Africans I can add to this size tank. Also wondering if peacocks and labs get along or should I have something else with the peacocks.

Pretty much if this was your tank and you had peacocks how would you stock it.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have a 125g tank. I want to finally get African cichlids. I always had SA/CA. I really like peacocks and yellow labs. Wondering how many Africans I can add to this size tank. Also wondering if peacocks and labs get along or should I have something else with the peacocks.

Pretty much if this was your tank and you had peacocks how would you stock it.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have an all male hap and peacock 125 show tank. I have heard yellow labs are one of the most compatible Mbuna to go with haps and peacocks but haven't tried it. I would stick to either all Mbuna or hap and peacock. I have the following:

1- Ruby Red
1- German Red
1- Eureka Red
1- Star Sapphire
1- OB Peacock
1- Super Red Impress
1- Dragonblood
1- Red Top Lwanda (my favorite in my tank currently)
1- Azureus
1- Bi-Color

All at about 3-4 inches. I'm looking to add a few more. Look up The Phoenix! Beautiful fish from here in Az (The Cichlid Shack) also Z-Roc Lithobates are gorgeous. I could go on all night. It's something you have to find a liking too. So many options.

That's an awesome list to get me started. I am playing on going all male as well. Is it best to have 1 of each type or was this just your choice to do so. Was wondering if this keeps aggression down.

You can have multiples of the same species as long as no females are around. And don't mix with females because their tends to be cross breeding and IMO, I would prefer to keep the genes of the species as strong as possible. I just chose to have a variety of males. I am working on breeding a few but have to get the other tanks set up first.

Mine still chase each other but that's normal. You will find out who is the dominant male in the hierarchy once they become comfortable in their new surroundings. I have 3 of mine that run a portion of each part of the tank. With Africans I have found overstocking (to a degree based on your filtration, etc) helps keep aggression down. They can't zero in on one particular fish.

Back
Top Bottom