150 gal plus suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdpuffer

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a group of 7 burundi frontosas that I am looking to move to a big tank in the future and am looking for suggestions on stocking other species. I really want some calvus again which I know are ok aswell as some petricola cats. What other fish have my fellow AA members kept with fronts successfully? I had some foai and they were really nice may try them again too. I would love some brichardi and other tanganyikans that aren't blue to mix up my colours but don't want to just feed the fronts when they mature. Any input is welcome but I do want to be strictly tanganyikans.

I would add more fonts personally and a small school of any of the synodontis species and call it a day but Neolamprologus leleupi or Julidochromis Regani would be cool. I always worry about Frontosa's at feeding time, they are very shy and can easily be outcompeted for food by more aggressive fish. What type of Fonts are they? I always prefer Frontosa in species tanks but that's my opinion.

Last edited:
They are Burundi, and yes they are good in a species only but I wanna add a little variety. I'd love some white calvus or perhaps goldhead comps. Maybe a few foai. I love the look of brichardi but they would just be food. I'll look into your suggestions. This is an "in the long term" plan. Im looking to have the 150+ going in about 3 years. In the meantime its an excuse to slowly and gradually upgrade in size, which I can progressively repopulate as I upgrade. I think I'm outsmarting the wife but im sure she is wise to it lol.

Oh and the beagles pose is priceless, my retriever cross tends to lay like that when the mood strikes, always good for a laugh.

I have a Burundi set up with mixed Tanganyikans in a 180.
Stay away from Brichardi. I had 5 in there and 2 sets paired off. There aggression reminded that of breeding Convicts. They took over 1/3 to 1/2 of the tank and went from territorial to aggressive. They are fin nippers big time when paired. They killed one of my Calvus Inkfins. I pulled all but 1 and it is much more peaceful.
Luipi and Julies work very well as there territorial nature seems to be directed at each other. I have 2 type of Calvus ; gold and inkfin and they work great.

I do have red empresses in there though they are not Tanganyikans. I am going to give them 2 more months and will pull the females. Only 1 male has colored up. Two of the females are currently holding.

Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom