150 stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armenkk1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gallon, 30, and 60 gallon full of fish that I'm combining into one tank that has been cycling tomorrow. I was wondering if I could add any more fish or if this is the end of stocking for me... I have 2 oscars (5 inches), a jack Dempsey (3 inches), a earth eater (3 inches), a pair of convicts (3/4-1 inch each), and 3 pictus catfish (3-4 inches). what else could I put in there (if I can) maybe like 10-20 tiger barbs or something?

the tiger barbs would eventually be eaten would be my guess, not sure about adding more fish though because you have 3 fish that will get quite large and im not positive on how large the earth eater will get.

Considering the oscars would need 75g tanks each, and the JD could out grow the 60.

I'd put the cons in the 30 by themselves.

And re-home the earth eater as well. Cause likely it could only go in the 60g and would be killed by either the oscars or the JD.

So I'd say ya have some decisions to make, or not. Anyways hope the info helps.

Considering the oscars would need 75g tanks each, and the JD could out grow the 60.

I'd put the cons in the 30 by themselves.

And re-home the earth eater as well. Cause likely it could only go in the 60g and would be killed by either the oscars or the JD.

So I'd say ya have some decisions to make, or not. Anyways hope the info helps.

he is combining them all into one 150 gallon tank

he is combining them all into one 150 gallon tank

A 150g tank looks very small with a pair of full grown oscars, between water quality and aggression issues you really need to rethink that amount of fish.

I would keep the oscars and the pictus cats then add a school or target fish like fast moving barbs or giant danios and call it a day.

HUKIT said:
A 150g tank looks very small with a pair of full grown oscars, between water quality and aggression issues you really need to rethink that amount of fish.

I would keep the oscars and the pictus cats then add a school or target fish like fast moving barbs or giant danios and call it a day.

k I put the oscars and the pictus cats in so could I put some target fish in like maybe 10-20 tiger barbs?

if I got rid of one Oscar what about that? because one of them I don't really like...

k I put the oscars and the pictus cats in so could I put some target fish in like maybe 10-20 tiger barbs?

Tiger barbs are much to slow to be used as target fish, your really better off with faster moving fish like giant danios, rainbows, roseline barbs or Congo tetras are my first choices...the last few could be a expensive feeder.

If you remove one Oscar then you could keep the JD.

oh wow. are there any cheaper fish that I could use for targets that look nice like roselines.

Congo tetras are the next best looking but again they're cheaper but still average $10 each. My favorite "cheaper" fish are Buenes Aires tetras, right now through march 25th they are $1 each at Petsmart. But keep in mind anytime your dealing with fish of this size and nature there are no absolutes they even accept dithers, my breeding pair of oscars did but my Festae don't like company.

HUKIT said:
Congo tetras are the next best looking but again they're cheaper but still average $10 each. My favorite "cheaper" fish are Buenes Aires tetras, right now through march 25th they are $1 each at Petsmart. But keep in mind anytime your dealing with fish of this size and nature there are no absolutes they even accept dithers, my breeding pair of oscars did but my Festae don't like company.

would neon tetras work or are they to small?

HUKIT said:
No they would get smoked.

ya that what I thought. I guess I'll go with the $1 fish at petsmart and see how they turn out. and just wondering, if I were to upgrade later and wanted to keep all the fish I first mentioned how big of a tank would I need? could I also add 2 more pictus, cuz they are just so energetic?

You would need to be in the 8ft and up range to provide the required area to provide enough territory for each aggressive fish, and even with that kind of room there are no guarantees. Now the fish your stocking are not very high on the aggression scale so you would be more concerned with water qaulity issues, especially with oscars who are prone to HLLE.

Back
Top Bottom