1st time parent!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGrza

Aquarium Advice Freak
My girlfriend just brought to my attention that two of my fish were behaving strangely. Sure enough my tropheus duboisi and my golden firecracker tropheus were mating. I was lucky enough to see eggs to mouth. One egg was a casualty of the tankmates. I know some of you will be upset about hybrid offspring but in the year I've had this tank I've never had a mating pair. Suggestions???

As long as you DON'T sell or rehome any offspring then there isn't a prob unless you don't want them

If the mom is left in the tank to spit then most likely many wont survive.

Cichlid-dude said:
If the mom is left in the tank to spit then most likely many wont survive.

Mine all survive and I know some other peoples that do too. So you can't really count on that. Just saying

I've seen it said before as I'm only new why don't you re home or sell hybrids

Kirky88 said:
I've seen it said before as I'm only new why don't you re home or sell hybrids

Nobody wants them and people that are really into it will get pissed like myself if one looks like a fish but when it matures looks totally different. They are worth nothing and some of us here don't even consider hybrids an actual cichlid

I seem to be in the same predicament now, I just noticed when I got home from work that one of my adopted already half-breeds, seems to be carrying a mouthful of you know what... I really don't care to have anymore of these swimming around my tank, so.... what can be done?

DoubleA said:
I seem to be in the same predicament now, I just noticed when I got home from work that one of my adopted already half-breeds, seems to be carrying a mouthful of you know what... I really don't care to have anymore of these swimming around my tank, so.... what can be done?

euthanize or if their not that big maybe food for another

It's about 2 1/2 - 3 inches... Only larger aggressive fish we have around here is my roomies JD's... not sure if it's big enough, so I'm guessing food route is out.

*sigh* :(

Last edited:
Yes, I have read the sticky posted on here already. How long would you say I have before she spits, I can't do it when the lady is around, she'll freak out...

I think I'm just going to let nature take its course. Hypothetically speaking, if a potential mother did end up swallowing her eggs due to aggression or had no surviving because of hungry tank mates would it change her personality long term?

The eggs were a little bit bigger than I expected. I feel fortunate that I got to witness it. Unintentionally I placed one of the flatter rocks front and center in my tank and that's where the magic happened.

I have no plans of selling or re-homing any hybrids. I am however curious because as previously stated, this is the first time I've had any success with them mating.

I let mine breed a few times just so I had a few more fish and to help figure out witch ones were for sure females. Then I'm getting a rid of all the females some how some way

I have a 20 gal L with 2 small calvus and 2 neolamprologus speciosus. Would that be a good spot to re-home her while she's "with child"? If so what's the most stress free way to catch her?

Freakgecko91 said:
Calvus are fry eaters if I'm not mistaken ;) *wink wink*

Yeah I know. I was just thinking of that tank as a vacation from the commotion of the regular tank. I'm probably also going to need pointers on how to extract the fry when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom