2 more Oscar rescues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bl80

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I saw a post that was for a 10 g tank and 2 oscars... Yes 2 oscars... The water in the pix was horrid. He planed on jeeping them in a 10 then put in a 40 as their home in a few months....then found out how big they really got ( can we say google???) So I go and get it. Cleaned up the 10 g and gave it to a friends lil boy who wanted another 10 g for another betta ( already gave him one )
I put their container in a bucket with slowly adding some of my water till I could dump their container. Put in an airstone and small heater... I put them in with my two lil oscars and at first they were like weeeeee then hid. Understandably... I know it will take a few days prob... Just hope they make it. My thoughts were what the heck.... Why not.... So now I have 4 lil oscars in my 90. Hope 2 will become friends and then go to their 140 and if the other 2 are fine guess I need to set up another tank :) or find suitable homes. Here are some pix... The albino tiger hides the most.... So it's like a right in your face up close lol.... The other I got is a tan and brown tiger. They are 2.5-3 inches.... Mine are about 4. ( red albino and a tiger)

Attachments

• image-7138626.jpg
    image-7138626.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 79
  • image-3129811589.jpg
    image-3129811589.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 69
  • image-3492099608.jpg
    image-3492099608.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3145079081.jpg
    image-3145079081.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 86
  • image-3816373274.jpg
    image-3816373274.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1777363047.jpg
    image-1777363047.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 81
I live the last pic. I wish I could have Oscars but until I have a tank big enough I will not do it. One day if I ever get anything over a 100g I'd like a pair of tigers.

The last two are Ziggy... He was more black during the water change then when I was done he flared up his colors :) he's my fav personality wise so far.... The only one not swimming and having a fishy time this am is still the albino tiger... Still pouting.... Just hope it makes it :-( its a shock, I know... I'm patient....

Aww, that's great of you to give them a GOOD home! Good luck with the "pouty" one, I'm sure he will be fine, just maybe needs some time to adjust :)

kelbaker79 said:
Aww, that's great of you to give them a GOOD home! Good luck with the "pouty" one, I'm sure he will be fine, just maybe needs some time to adjust :)

That's what I'm figuring.... Time to settle in... They finally ate so that's a step in the right direction....

Good job rescuing them and doing what you can to provide good homes for them! Oscars in proper envirnments are just beautiful! I really like the guy in the first 2 pictures. Gorgeous!

The first one is incredible..but then again they all are!! Your a great person for doin that, nice job

Gboy66 said:
The first one is incredible..but then again they all are!! Your a great person for doin that, nice job

My son wants to call it coffee, bean , java or mocha lol I really like the pattern too.... Just trying to help the fish and my addiction all in one swoop! Plus another 10 g was needed as a castle for a poor bowl ridden betta, lol

KonvictKeeper said:
The one in the first pic is amazing!! I noticed Ziggy in the last couple pics. I've been following you're oscar posts and it seems to me like Ziggy grew a bit... In like a month or so... Seems kinda weird, is it just me?

Ya grew ALOT... He's about 4 inches now and the red albino storm is just a lil smaller...

KonvictKeeper said:
Wow thats quick!

When I got them they were between 2 spots on my spray bar... ( 2 inches)Now when in a 4 inch terra cotta pot nose to tail fills the opening almost completely .... ya I was expecting around an inch a month lol!!! Guess they are playing catch up....

Here's a pix... Of course he won't stay in the opening like he normally does ( he- she whatever lol)

Attachments

• image-3979827275.jpg
    image-3979827275.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 66
  • image-120404505.jpg
    image-120404505.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 78
Yup... I know they can't be sexed till much older than this... Not even trying... But btr to say he and him than it lol... It's ok I'm sure they will all have complexes from it :)

Here is the new tiger albino finally coming around a lil....
" are you my new mom???" lol

Attachments

• image-718583808.jpg
    image-718583808.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 57
  • image-1695849352.jpg
    image-1695849352.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 61
  • image-2415856510.jpg
    image-2415856510.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 71
there is no definite way to tell unless they are breeding. but here is what i think oscars can be sexed by:
the females:
- should be more rounded, with softer fins
- should have a larger dorsal fin than anal fin
- should be slightly less agressive, more likely to survive with another oscar
- should have a soft bump on the vent area, will have a whiteish pink 'volcano' sticking out during spawning.
the males:
- should be more streamlined, have more pointed fins in some cases
- should have larger anal fin than dorsal fin
- should be slightly more agressive, can only live with a female oscar and even then she may get killed
- should be flat around the vent area and will have a thorn like thing hanging out during spawning

this is theoretical and can be fully proved wrong, but these are truly the only possibilities for sexing an oscar. even when they pair up it can be confusing until they lay eggs.

and i hope "momma" is ready for a few battles ;) ha x

Back
Top Bottom