2 New Blood Parrots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TinyShiny

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey! I'm a new blood parrot and aquarium owner. Right now I have 3, I asked for 4 but apparently they had reserved the last one for someone else. I'm planning on starting a second tank soon and will pair the third off with a second parrot. Anyway, I have a few questions regarding the fish and tank.

The girls (I'm guessing and don't really care, they are my girls lol) got home on Sunday. They are still in hiding for the most part. How long should I wait before getting worried? None of them have eaten since I got them here.

Do they like it dark? I have bright saltwater lights but they are almost always in hiding for the 8 hrs the light is turned on (it's on a timer) but as soon as it goes off they will somewhat come out of hiding and swim around.

My tank has been set up for 6 weeks and showed to have fully cycled before I brought Paris, Pally and Peggie home. But since I brought them home it has gotten cloudy. I am planning to do a water change and gravel vaccumm tomorrow, unless this will scare and stress them out even more than they already are. What do you think?

Thank you for any and all advice.

Hybrids as parrot fish are controversial around these parts. But regardless they are cichlids. Sooo, They tend to be infertile so pairing not really necessary. Waters parameters may play a part in them not eating. How often do you conduct water changes? 8 hours of light why? Do you have plants? IME cichlids prefer low light, definitely not reef or grow lights.

+1 -Blood parrots definitely arent a favorite around here-especially if they are dyed. I have two (got my first with my first tank setup not knowing a thing about them). Each fish has a different personality and 3 in a tank might be trouble once they come out and stake territory. How big is your tank? I'd say just give them more time. Mine were shy at first & hid all the time now they're always up front begging for food. Try keeping the lights off until they can get used to the new tank, if you have plants keep the lights to the minimum. Once they get comfortable watch them with each other and any tankmates some have a more aggressive nature and will chase and push other fish around (My guys are hogs and will bully anything that tries to take "their" food. )

How long have you had them? Maybe try feeding them with lights out or in low light. Then stand back from the tank. My 2nd parrot took awhile to get used to me and even food wouldnt get him out until I was a "safe" distance away from him.

Welcome to AA!!!!

I agree with some of the previous post. Reduce the time on the lighting schedule and give them some alone time to get adjusted. You should be fine. They will get adjusted and come out. Please forgive the negative Nancy's about them being hybrids. It is a very controversial topic here and on many other forums but if its what you like, so be it. You're the one that has to take care of them.

i have 4 of them in a 55 gallon and i love them . they are so cute and awesome personalities.

Back
Top Bottom